IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

1999 Volvo s80 radio wiring

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
xCodec
Year and Model: 1999 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
xCodec

1999 Volvo s80 radio wiring

Post by xCodec » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Alright!

First of all, I had more time to investigate this given problem and here is all new post since the old one had too many faults. Sorry about it.

So, when the radio (HU 601) is connected as the picture shows below, the radio and cigarette lighters won't work:
- Fuse number 13, ”Cigarette lighters” will not give any voltage.
- Fuse number 15, ”Audio, RTI” will not give any voltage.
- Fuse number 16, ”Audio” gives however 12V.

When I connect the wires as the other picture shows below, the radio and both cigarette lighters works:
- Fuse number 13, ”Cigarette lighters” gives about 12V.
- Fuse number 15, ”Audio, RTI” gives about 12V.
- Fuse number 16, ”Audio” gives about 12V.

Could the electricity circle around in wrong direction? It seems so… The fuses is working.

The cut blue and the cut red wire that comes from the radios green socket are worthless. However if I connect the cut blue to the cut red, it will give the radio signal to turn on. That’s one reason why I assume it to be the ”12V key” wire.

So I tried to follow the the ”12V key” wire from the radio and I found out that it goes with other wires to another green socket. And it comes out obviously from the other side but it has a purple colour instead of red. And the yellow "12V permanent" wire comes out as a red (larger wire!). And they end up into the tubing.

From there on the whole wire harness went to ”black tubing” and it appeared to go left towards steering colum, fuse box and CEM box.

So does anyone know if the car has a relay or fuse that would control the ”12V key” wire signal from the key ignition to the radio and cigarette lighters?

Or does anyone know where the purple wire ends up in (the CEM) or does the wire change colour again?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xCodec on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

xCodec
Year and Model: 1999 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
xCodec

Re: 1999 Volvo s80 radio wiring

Post by xCodec » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 am

Actually I found wiring diagrams for the whole car from https://cardiagn.com/.

But since I’m not familiar with those diagrams I’m having hard time understanding it. :D

If someone understands wiring diagrams, please feel free to interpret those :P

I downloaded it and uploaded here as a .pdf file (I hope it's not against rules of this site)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.