IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo Wholesale Parts - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 Condenser replacement, PCV service, engine mounts

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Tone944
Year and Model: 2003 XC70, 2006 XC9
Been thanked: 0
Australia
Tone944

XC90 Condenser replacement, PCV service, engine mounts

Post by Tone944 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's time to give our 2006 2.5T xc90 (220,000kms / 134000miles )a birthday...

Here's the list:
  • Replace strut upper bearings/mounts
  • Replace AC Condenser (got a slow leak)
  • PCV service (I seem to have crankcase pressure)
  • Engine mounts, Front and right hand engine mounts are faulty, but thinking of doing the whole set
  • make the windscreen washer work again
Here's some questions I have:
  • Last time I did a PCV service on a XC70 I recall access was an issue, since I need to do the condenser and I'm contemplating doing all engine mounts (even though the main lower mounts were done a while ago), and I need to get to the washer bottle somehow, I was thinking maybe it would be worth removing the bumper and front radiator support and condenser/radiator/intercooler. I also thought it might be an opportunity to wash out the intercooler while doing it. 2 questions: 1. Will the improved access for PCV service and Engine mounts be worth the extra work? 2. Is there anything else I should be doing while "in there"?
  • The strut upper bearings are flogged out, looks like the rubber that has given way. Should I be tight and only replace the bearing assemblies or should I dig deep and spend the extra on a whole new struts?
  • Does anyone know the common failure points on the windscreen washer? Pump motor? Relay? Other?
Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: XC90 Condenser replacement, PCV service, engine mounts

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:17 pm

I have not done a condenser on your model XC90, but my advice is don't take off anything you don't have to for the required service.

The plastic is old and the nuts/bolts are rusty - best leave them alone.

PCV is pretty much typical Volvo - removing the intake is the hardest part. Access is plenty with the radiator fan off. The engine mounts same. I don't think you will be picking up any ease by removing more parts.

The strut bearings usually last longer than 134k miles - are you sure yours are bad? Usually the strut mounts fail every 70k or so miles. Doing the entire assembly is not a bad idea at your miles, but it is a cost and how long are you going to drive it question. If you do the fronts, may as well do the rear two shocks. If nothing is leaking you can just do the strut mounts and examine the bearings. Once one strut or shock springs a leak and goes bad go in again and do them all. Keep the money in your pocket theory.

The two engine mounts you mention, and the upper brace are the ones that fail most often. They are easy.

For your washer bottle. You have to start with the fuses and then go from there. Check power with a VOM - then provide power directly to the pump and see if it works. I did one washer bottle pump on an XC70 and it was pretty straight forward.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
Tone944