IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

EVAP Hose Hanging Low

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
rmvgaines
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rmvgaines

EVAP Hose Hanging Low

Post by rmvgaines » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I ran over some road debris with my 2001 S80T6. The "rail" covering the fuel line and EVAP line was torn off and the EVAP line under the engine was disconnected. I have three questions:

1. The EVAP line didn't look broken.; there were two clean-cut ends. Was something supposed to go between these pieces of tubing? Maybe a valve, T connector, or filter? For the time being, I have reconnected them with a vacuum connector.

2. After being reconnected the tube hung all the way to the ground. Does this mean that it has also been disconnected somewhere else? Maybe the charcoal canister? Everything looks fine on the purge valve next to the radiator.

3. There is a kink in the tube where it goes up into the frame, presumably to the charcoal canister. Is this a problem?

EVAP hose before being reconnected:

EVAP hose after being reconnected:

Kink in EVAP hose:

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: EVAP Hose Hanging Low

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 pm

That is not normal. I have always noticed those lines being snapped into places to hold them in place. I suppose if all the snap points are removed it is possible they may hang that low.

You need to follow the lines and see if they end with a connection and if there are snap point to secure them. You can try blowing air and listening and feeling resistance to help you out. (Ideally smoke test).

To fix the break just find a tube of larger diameter to serve as a coupler. Slide in both ends (tight fit is wanted) and overlap a few inches. Warm up the coupler and seal ends with RTV for good measure.

Kinks are not normal - should be free flowing route.

rmvgaines
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rmvgaines

Post by rmvgaines » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:12 pm

I've traced the line into the engine compartment to where it connects to the purge valve and I have checked where it connects to the charcoal canister. The only place it could be broken is in the area where it runs over the gas tank to the charcoal canister. I don't want to drop the gas tank if I don't have to, so how essential is it that I check there? Could the engine be damaged if it is snapped and sucking in air?

The kink doesn't want to straighten out. Should I cut out that section and patch it?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Blow air or smoke into the system going back. If it is disconnected you will know. Can you access the other end (charcoal canister)? If you can disconnect this and blow through it then the kink shouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like some one did some work on the car and put it back together improperly. Did you look for the clips on the frame where the tubing is suppose to be secured?