IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Rear wheel bearing swap and abs light

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Aurora
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Aurora

Rear wheel bearing swap and abs light

Post by Aurora » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Therefore I am asking for some knowledge that goes beyond my own.

I have a 2006 XC90 Ocean Race 2.5t AWD. A little while ago I bought replacement rear knuckles with wheel bearings from a newer 2011 XC90. They must have been from a V8 because after removing a noisy hub to replace it I found that it was different than the original in that it lacks the little white plastic teeth that sit over the magnet on the inside of the hub. I had replaced the hub with an older one to figure out which bearing it was that was bad. I immediately got a abs message and a brake system failure message.

I am guessing that the magnetic pattern must differ between the 2.5t and V8 hubs that would cause the messages? What do I do about the wheel bearing needing replacement? Do I get one for a V8 to match the other side? Can't really afford to replace them both right now.

Please any advice would be appreciated.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: Rear wheel bearing swap and abs light

Post by ggleavitt » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:27 pm

I'm not aware of any powertrain or model year differentiation with the rear axle (PN 36000930 exch) or the rear wheel bearings (Left- PN 31340099, Right-PN 31340100). White plastic teeth missing, got any photos?

IIRC, the ABS sensor ring for the rear is located within the bearing assembly itself.

This link has some visuals- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... -of-photos

2005 2.5T AWD-195k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-125k

Aurora
Year and Model: 2006 XC90
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Aurora

Re: Rear wheel bearing swap and abs light

Post by Aurora » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Thank you, very good write up. I need to look at my wheel speed sensors now