IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

'01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 107 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

'01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by bmdubya1198 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm

My '01 S60 has had the ECM-902A (communication with throttle unit - signal missing) since I bought it, but after hooking up VIDA today it also showed ECM-959F (accelerator pedal position sensor - faulty signal). It idles fine, but when I first start it I need to hit the gas to keep it running, otherwise it tries to stall out. After a couple seconds it normalizes and it idles perfectly smoothly. I definitely think this starting issue is related... I have checked and there are no vacuum leaks, I replaced all the vacuum hoses and checked all of the IC piping.

It revs normally too, but it feels a little laggy. Throttle response could definitely be better... it feels slow compared to my 2003 unless I really get on it.

I went through the ETM test in VIDA, and it came back good (well below the specified maximum difference). When I look at the potentiometer values, they match up really well... within a couple degrees of each other. I don't think the ETM is the problem, but I know better than to rule it out completely.

Could the accelerator pedal be bad? When I floor it, it only shows about 60-80% (I can't remember exactly which, but it wasn't 100%). I'm going to check the fault trace in VIDA for that code just to see, but I wanted to go ahead and post here to see if anyone has any ideas.


2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 191k
2000 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 2??k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 108k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 160k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it


Need used parts? PM me!

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 19210
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 763 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by abscate » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 pm

I want to say for all the times I’ve read threads with faulty pedal sensor codes, replacing the pedal assembly has never fixed it. Check all the 12 V supply busses and points.


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 107 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by bmdubya1198 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:08 pm

abscate wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 pm
I want to say for all the times I’ve read threads with faulty pedal sensor codes, replacing the pedal assembly has never fixed it. Check all the 12 V supply busses and points.
Same.... I've never seen a new pedal fix a pedal sensor code. I'll further investigate tomorrow.


2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 191k
2000 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 2??k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 108k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 160k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it


Need used parts? PM me!

xHeart
Posts: 2524
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:05 am
Year and Model: 1997 854 NA
Location: Great Lakes - USA
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 28 times
United States of America
xHeart

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by xHeart » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm
My '01 S60 has had the ECM-902A (communication with throttle unit - signal missing) since I bought it, but after hooking up VIDA today it also showed ECM-959F (accelerator pedal position sensor - faulty signal).
For 902A, 959F combination, follow the fault tracing for 902A.


--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +144mi/231km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +196mi/ +315km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 107 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by bmdubya1198 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:27 pm

xHeart wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm
bmdubya1198 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm
My '01 S60 has had the ECM-902A (communication with throttle unit - signal missing) since I bought it, but after hooking up VIDA today it also showed ECM-959F (accelerator pedal position sensor - faulty signal).
For 902A, 959F combination, follow the fault tracing for 902A.
That's what I figured, that's the code that's been showing.

Also noticed a loose bolt where the ETM ground should attach... and it seems the wires that should be there are attached to the starter...

Interesting detail... I bought this car from an electrician. The last car my cousin bought from an electrician had a household light switch controlling the blower motor... that sealed the deal on electricians having no business working on cars!


2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 191k
2000 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 2??k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 108k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 160k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it


Need used parts? PM me!

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 19210
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 763 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by abscate » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:27 pm
xHeart wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm
bmdubya1198 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:33 pm
My '01 S60 has had the ECM-902A (communication with throttle unit - signal missing) since I bought it, but after hooking up VIDA today it also showed ECM-959F (accelerator pedal position sensor - faulty signal).
For 902A, 959F combination, follow the fault tracing for 902A.
That's what I figured, that's the code that's been showing.

Also noticed a loose bolt where the ETM ground should attach... and it seems the wires that should be there are attached to the starter...

Interesting detail... I bought this car from an electrician. The last car my cousin bought from an electrician had a household light switch controlling the blower motor... that sealed the deal on electricians having no business working on cars!
Are you telling me you’ve got no respect for my workmanship?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 107 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by bmdubya1198 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:48 am

abscate wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:59 am
Are you telling me you’ve got no respect for my workmanship?
Only the best can pull off such a clean install!


2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 191k
2000 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 2??k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 108k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 160k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it


Need used parts? PM me!

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 19210
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 763 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by abscate » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:41 am

At least wrap the duct tape into the seam of the soft dash, what are we! Animals?


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 107 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine  Topic is solved

Post by bmdubya1198 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:24 pm

So I was right... the dope who owned it before me grounded the ETM to the starter... no idea why. It was attached to the lug where the braided ground is attached.
After attaching the ground where it belongs, the car starts right up without assistance! VIDA shows no codes after clearing... ABS light is still on due to what I believe is a failed ABS pump. Once I repair that, it will be ready for sale. Who wants a nice S60 with a brand new timing belt and PCV? I'll give you an MVS discount :D


2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 191k
2000 S70 GLT Mystic Silver/Taupe 2??k
2003 S60 2.4T Silver/Black 108k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 160k
1993 944 Base Beige/Beige 221k
1992 Miata Mariner Blue/Black 146k
Sold-
1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 GLT Tropic Green... crushed
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Never should have sold it


Need used parts? PM me!

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 19210
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 763 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: '01 S60 ETM Codes, Throttle Position Values Fine

Post by abscate » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:23 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:24 pm
So I was right... the dope who owned it before me grounded the ETM to the starter... no idea why. It was attached to the lug where the braided ground is attached.
After attaching the ground where it belongs, the car starts right up without assistance! VIDA shows no codes after clearing... ABS light is still on due to what I believe is a failed ABS pump. Once I repair that, it will be ready for sale. Who wants a nice S60 with a brand new timing belt and PCV? I'll give you an MVS discount :D

Isn’t that braided ground the solenoid hot wire?


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post