IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 Parking Brake Adjustment nightmare!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
craigndee
Year and Model: 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
craigndee

XC90 Parking Brake Adjustment nightmare!

Post by craigndee » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi guys. Trying to adjust this parking brake. 08 Volvo XC90. This is a total pita! I've seen write ups, bad videos, etc and just cannot figure out how to tighten this thing up. Clip out, turned clockwise until it stopped, replaced clip (dropped it once, was lucky with a magnet.). So confused. As others have been I see. Does the forward facing piston need to be physically forced back into the larger cylinder, or forced out more? it looks like its out pretty good. I read people said it needs to come out towards front of car to tighten system? Seen videoa of two wrenchs etc?? I just cannot figure this out and started throwing tools after several hours of the uncomfortable yoga. Not good. So confused. Need to finish inspection and replaced parking brake pads and expanders. .I have tried everything I could find on this topic and just cannot figure it out. Help is appreciated! Thanks, Craig

craigndee
Year and Model: 2004
Been thanked: 0
craigndee

Re: XC90 Parking Brake Adjustment nightmare!

Post by craigndee » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:14 pm

just saw the other gentlemans great post with pictures. I have no threads showing on my parking brake adjuster to pry on. Seems like they are all inside the larger tube. So still stuck. Thanks

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Re: XC90 Parking Brake Adjustment nightmare!

Post by Masscomguru » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Loosen the barrel until the cable is loose and the stub is pulled back in. Tighten the barrel back up and put the clip in place (the teeth ratchet out while tightened down). remember to push the pedal down 3 or 4 clicks (to allow for slack after the tightening is completed).

Once the barrel is reset, use whatever you can (i was able to use a pair of pliers and a open box wrench to pry the stub out of the barrel. Do that until you cant anymore. Press the pedal down to test wheel lock. release to test brake relief.
here is a video that helped me to understand how it works.