IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Climate control/fan not turning off

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

jlee
Year and Model: 2006 S60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jlee

Climate control/fan not turning off

Post by jlee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Hello folks,

I have a 06 S60. Everytime I get in out of the car, I have to put the fuse in when getting in the car and out. When I plug the fuse in, the fan only runs at full speed and cannot reduce the speed at all. When turning the fan speed knob, the lights change from low to high and high to low. It also turns off the AC when turned all the way to the left but the fan still runs at full speed. When I turn the knob for cold/hot, it doesn't gradually increase/decrease the heat. It's either hot or cold. I'm not sure if this is the case because it's summer here in Virginia, but I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. Could it be the temp resistor that's causing issues? FYI. I've replaced the temp sensor on the passenger side mirror last year. I'm guessing it might be the ECC module.

Thanks in advance,

John

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Climate control/fan not turning off

Post by oragex » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I would go in two steps: replace the blower regulator first (or the whole blower if you can get a used one in nice condition, like on Ebay from a Florida car). Then see how it goes and eventually replace the small cabin thermistor. Some people recommend to have the key in POS II whenever the battery is being replaced or gets flat, to save the little thermistor from failing.
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
jlee

jlee
United States of America
jlee

Post by jlee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am

Thank you for the reply oragex.

I'll try that and see if it works.

jlee
United States of America
jlee

Post by jlee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:57 pm

oragex wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:24 pm
I would go in two steps: replace the blower regulator first (or the whole blower if you can get a used one in nice condition, like on Ebay from a Florida car). Then see how it goes and eventually replace the small cabin thermistor. Some people recommend to have the key in POS II whenever the battery is being replaced or gets flat, to save the little thermistor from failing.
RESOLVED!!!!!!!!!

Just replaced the blower motor resistor and all the symptoms went away. Now when I take the key out, the blower doesn't continue to run. Now I don't have to plug and unplug the fuse every time I get in and out of the car. I found from another posting that if the resistor goes bad, that it only blows in high. Thanks for your help. I hope this helps others similar symptoms. Now I have to replace the stock stereo for it also went bad.