IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

07 XC90 3.2 Sporadic Message Power System Service Urgent Loud Squeal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
VolvoS402006
Year and Model: 2006 Volvo S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
VolvoS402006

07 XC90 3.2 Sporadic Message Power System Service Urgent Loud Squeal

Post by VolvoS402006 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 am

I have been searching and I can not find a clear answer to this, so any help would be really appreciated.
I have a 2007 XC 90 3.2 FWD with the following problem. The last 2 days I have had the following problem.
Twice I received the message " Power System Service Urgent" battery light comes on also, along with a high pitched squeal for a minute or two.
I stop and it goes away but it came on again today.
Is a pulley or belt on the alternator bad?
Thanks,
Joey
Last edited by matthew1 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title. Please, no "ALL CAPS"s in titles.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 07 XC90 3.2 Sporadic Message Power System Service Urgent Loud Squeal

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:30 pm

the drive side is slipping or the driven side on alt with the one way clutch is faulty. The intake is easy. Down low are a couple of bolts and the ones at top are readily accessible. The intake only needs to be set aside. The pulley should freewheel one way and drive alternator the other. I see them bind both ways when I've heard them squeal in most cases. In any case, the drive side needs to be inspected and tightened. You need to use large slip joint pliers and a cloth to protect the drive gear while breaking it loose and when tightening. Use a drop of Loc-tite green (best) or red and apply inside the area it fits on shaft. If you remove bolt and the gear will not come off then bolt back and tighten to 35 ft-lbs. you only need to loc-tite it if it will come off.