IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Front Wheels Skip Slow Speed Turns Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
wanderdĂĽne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdĂĽne

Front Wheels Skip Slow Speed Turns

Post by wanderdĂĽne » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:25 am

Hi, noticing that the front wheels skip when turning at parking lot speeds. Acts kind of like it's a 4 wheel drive. Happens in both directions and is not a result of full steering lock; pump is fine as well. This is on a 2006 XC90 2.5T that I recently bought, doesn't happen on my other ones. Front struts /mounts are dealer new before I bought it. Sway bar links, ball joints and tie rods seem good; very minor cracking in control arm bushes. Any thoughts on what can cause this?

SOLVED: It was the tires; harder compound.
Last edited by wanderdĂĽne on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Masscomguru

Re: Front Wheels Skip Slow Speed Turns  Topic is solved

Post by Masscomguru » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 pm

What other ones for comparison?

What type of surfaces? If it’s sand or gravel or wet, this would be normal with tires that do not have great traction. As the turning radius increases the inner and outer wheels spin at different speeds. Typically tires will hold traction and absorb this “pop” or skip but a harder compound with limited traction would break on the surface.

wanderdĂĽne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdĂĽne

Re: Front Wheels Skip Slow Speed Turns

Post by wanderdĂĽne » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Masscomguru wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 pm
What other ones for comparison?

What type of surfaces? If it’s sand or gravel or wet, this would be normal with tires that do not have great traction. As the turning radius increases the inner and outer wheels spin at different speeds. Typically tires will hold traction and absorb this “pop” or skip but a harder compound with limited traction would break on the surface.
The 2003 XC90 T6 that this one replaces and the 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD that I have as the second car.

Happened on my concrete driveway turning around, has a bit of texture. I'lll try one of my other wheel sets and see if there's a difference. It's on the Big O legacy tours that the XC came with. Pretty new, but maybe a harder compound.

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Yeah try that. Both of those other variants wouldn't give the same feel. The FWD isn't locked front to rear when moving so the binding wouldn't be as bad and the T6 was chain driven not gear driven in the angle gear so there would be more slack there.

adki110
Year and Model: XC90 2006
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
adki110

Post by adki110 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:09 am

Check the alignment