IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Reverse shifter adjustment

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

UV-MAN
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
UV-MAN

Reverse shifter adjustment

Post by UV-MAN » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:09 am

Hello all,
For my 07' v70 with 5 speed. When putting shifter in reverse, sometimes I have to slowly engage the clutch a little for it to drop into reverse.
Is there an adjustment on the shifter or transmission. The linkage on the transmission does not bind and everything is lubricated and shifts smoothly. It only happens in reverse.
Thanks all.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Reverse shifter adjustment

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:59 am

That is a symptom of the clutch not fully disengaging. First gear synchronizer is taking care completely of it but reverse will drag. Air in the clutch hydraulic circuit, binding of release bearing (integral with slave cylinder on that one), failing clutch master cylinder, or issues with pedal linkage under dash all can be causes. If the clutch pedal free travel (the amount of movement of pedal before you feel the effort increase as you begin to actually move the clutch cover fingers) is more than an inch then hydraulic system parts get higher suspicion.

UV-MAN
Year and Model:
Been thanked: 0
UV-MAN

Re: Reverse shifter adjustment

Post by UV-MAN » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:08 am

Free play in the clutch is ~3/8". Fluid for the clutch was flushed when I flushed the brakes.
I had the same problem with my 65' Porsche and it was a linkage adjustment. - Anyway, I will be doing a new clutch and and slave cylinder sometime next year so I will be addressing this issue then. It happens maybe 1 in 10 times of going in reverse. No grinding when clutch is fully depressed, just a slight lift of the pedal and it pops in. That's what the Porsche did.
Thanks for your help.