IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

XC90 from the woods

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Kris521
Year and Model: 2005 XC90 2.5t awd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Kris521

XC90 from the woods

Post by Kris521 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Hello,
I have recently purchased a 2005 XC90 2.5t AWD.
At the time of the issue at hand, I hadn’t done any work involving any electrical components.

I will post codes from vida, as best as I can.

But the main diagnosis I’ve come to, is a short to ground, involving the CEM, DEM, SAS and the BCM modules.
All of my codes have suggested it, and difficulties communicating.
I also have the anti skid warning, and when I have the vida connected, my abs light blinks. But while running, disconnected from vida, I have no abs warnings.

Various components have codes, but they all refer to grounding issues.

Last night I discovered water saturated foam beneath the carpet of the passenger floor. The sun roof drain and air cleaner are both clogged. The air cleaner had a mouse nest. Clean this area up and trace the wires for the ground/short issue?

Or plug in a new DEM as suggested in other posts, since my negative side plug to the DEM had corrosion?

All modules seem to be tied into each either other on the basic wiring overview on Vida. Could a ground issue way at the end of the line affect the load on the CEM side of things?

Mouse debri, fleas, and urine have convinced me to tear out the carpet and start fresh.

I guess I’m posting to gain advice from those who have done something similar, or had similar problems and decided to ignore it.

I’m capable of the work, just tight on free time. It’ll be a two weekend process at least. Any suggestions, on new carpeting ideas, abc pillars, color schemes that have worked well, all good to know.

I’m also getting rid of the 3rd row seating to maximize my cargo area. If anyone is in need or wants a set of functional but weathered nivomats, the rear seats and everything associated are going with it. No exceptions lol. I’ll be converting it to non self leveling after state inspection.

Thank you all in advance. I’ll get it done, but problem areas and extra advice from experience is appreciated. Be patient with me, I’m not a huge fan of forums. Due to technical difficulties.