IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

89 240 Wagon---charging issue. Alternator or voltage regulator?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

shutterbugpaul
Year and Model: 1989 Volvo 240 DL Wg
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
shutterbugpaul

89 240 Wagon---charging issue. Alternator or voltage regulator?

Post by shutterbugpaul » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:10 am

I took off the alternator and took it into a discount auto parts store to have it tested, they said it passed their test all 3 times. I reattached it, same issue. When car is on and idling, voltage reads 10.75-11.25. Shut car off and it rises to about 12v. Eventually battery will not have enough juice to start the car. What is the most likely culprit? The car has the original Bosch alternator and the outside looks very old, but the black voltage regulator on the side of it looks much newer like it's been replaced before. I would like to have this car roadtrip worthy within a week's time. Any pointers?

Thank you all kindly.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 89 240 Wagon---charging issue. Alternator or voltage regulator?

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:08 am

Does the battery light come on when the ignition is switched on but engine not started? The alternator will not charge without the warning light current flow being used to make the rotor in alternator get magnetized. If you rev engine past 3000 RPM it ill start charging without that current usually due to faint residual magnetism of the rotor. The small gauge red wire that plugs onto alternator is this wire. It should be plugged onto spade terminal marked "B+/61" on back pf alternator. If it got plugged on the "w" terminal it will not charge.
Another issue on that car can be the ground wire. The alternator mounts on rubber bushings and it must have a ground wire attached between block and one of the 5 mm studs sticking out of periphery of alternator case on back end. It needs to be a 10 gauge wire but larger is OK.

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:39 pm

If this model has the replaceable contact brushes like the earlier Volvos, then the first thing I would check is the brushes. They can wear down and make poor contact. A quick check of IPD information shows the 89 model likely has the brushes made as part of the voltage regulator. Remove 2 screws to inspect the brushes.
volvolugnut

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:41 pm

The brushes on that one are part of the regulator but can be sourced separately if you want to solder them in place. It would not have passed 3 times on tester with worn out brushes and failed to charge at least for a few minutes installed on car if brushes were the problem. When the cars with this generation charging system littered the service bays at my dealer the things I listed were the usual fixes are were what was checked before the alternator itself was condemned. On ones where brushe were worn out the alternator would charge for a time, maybe 20 minutes, and then stop charging with no warning lamp lit when warning light did work. The alternator would get hot enough, expand and the brushes, being tethered by the wire leads, would no longer touch slip rings. On those the diagnosis was watch voltmeter while you reach down and put pressure inward on voltage regulator. If it started charging then it needed a voltage regulator with integrated brush set.