IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Manual swap tuning, is CEM tuning needed? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

TheMrFailz
Year and Model: 2002 V70 2.4T
United States of America
TheMrFailz

Manual swap tuning, is CEM tuning needed?

Post by TheMrFailz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:05 pm

In the process of doing a manual swap on a 2002 2.4t v70 and I was curious on if both the ECU and the CEM have to be tuned for it to go well. I know that if you don't get the ecu tune done you're gimped to 4k RPM but while I was shopping around I noticed that Hilton tuning recommends getting the CEM done with the ECU (for an additional $600 clams might I add over the base $150) with the main reasons being "so it behaves like a true manual" and so that reverse lights / lockouts work. Color me skeptical but $600 sounds like a lot for what based on my research can be done with a few spare wires (specifically in relation to reverse lights) as noted here: viewtopic.php?t=53702

Professional jerry-rigger.

darylrobert
Year and Model: V70 240 740t xc70
Has thanked: 0
Australia
darylrobert

Re: Manual swap tuning, is CEM tuning needed?  Topic is solved

Post by darylrobert » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Gday from Australia

first of all good on you for converting to a manual, im recently back from a 2week vacation in your wonderful country but being forced to rent an automatic car was awful.

Luckily in Australia things arent quite as bad, manual volvos are rare but still available here. Ive converted 3 of my volvos myself a 240,740t and a 98 V70t5 but i wouldnt attempt to convert a P2 to manual its way to complicated for me, i did look into buying an auto P2 and converting it myself but my research showed you had to get the ecu reprogrammed , but i dont think the CEM reverse light would be hard to convert, its low tech electronics theres one active wire that runs to the rear globes from the switch on the gearbox.

I dont know what lockouts you are refering to, i have a parts vehicle that is auto and it has a lock cable that goes from the ignition to the shifter, the manual doesnt have this cable, all i did was unplug the cable and i am using the ignition barrel (and door lock) from my auto parts car in my manual vehicle will no key lockout ..good luck
These users thanked the author darylrobert for the post:
TheMrFailz

TheMrFailz
Year and Model: 2002 V70 2.4T
United States of America
TheMrFailz

Re: Manual swap tuning, is CEM tuning needed?

Post by TheMrFailz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:00 am

Alright so I'm just going to take the "CEM tune" as a load of baloney.

Professional jerry-rigger.