IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Cam seal replacement problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Christopherjz
Year and Model: 2006 c70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
Christopherjz

Cam seal replacement problem

Post by Christopherjz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:27 pm

I have a 2006 C70 T5 which needed a new timing belt and cam seal replacement due to an oil leak.

I took the car to a local garage who said they could do the work if I supplied the parts. They called me today because I apparently gave them the wrong sized seals for the cam. I went to pick up the old seals to get a replacement and when I got there they had removed the camshaft cover and had taken one of the camshafts out to get to the seal?? I'm not a mechanic but this seems like the wrong way to go. I asked why they didn't lock the cam and remove the vvt pulley from the front of the engine and go that way. They said they tried but it wouldn't budge and he didn't want to break anything by forcing it.

Should I be worried about this?