IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Speaker replace on 2007 S40 with Premium Sound System

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
captfalc
Year and Model: 2007 S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
captfalc

Speaker replace on 2007 S40 with Premium Sound System

Post by captfalc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:23 am

The passenger door speakers have blown (lots of vibration even when on low volume) and I was looking into replacing the speakers. I've found some information on size but it seems all of those posts were on the regular sound system. Once I popped the door panel off I was greeted with two speakers.

Now I believe it's just the larger of these speakers that's blown. Will I be able to replace just the one and leave the other? Any help in this would be appreciated!

MRScott
Year and Model: 04.5,05,06,2011
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MRScott

Re: Speaker replace on 2007 S40 with Premium Sound System

Post by MRScott » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Ok you said any help, you can test the larger driver by applying equal pressure on the cone. Usually when speakers are bad there will be a noticeable noise from the interference of the coil and magnet inside the speaker. You can also feel this resistance, sort of a dragging noise. Just press it in and let it come out several times with your fingers. Personally I had the same problem with one of my S40's and I went the, find one on ebay route. I have more than enough skills to due anything as far as modifying the mount, different drivers and such, and am all about saving money and doing it myself and I ended up deciding to just get a used one and be done with it. I have been so impressed with the original system I did not want to start changing things.