IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Xc90 drive train problem diagnosis

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Mysticmaestro
Year and Model: 2003 xc90 t6 turbo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Mysticmaestro

Xc90 drive train problem diagnosis

Post by Mysticmaestro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Just picked up a 2003 xc90 with a "bad transmission" for 800$. About to tear into it, but before I do, I'm hoping someone out there can give me some clues about how to diagnose the problem. It is making a lot of noise when I put it in gear, and it could be the angle gear, differential, or the transmission. I know these have a history of transmission problems and I'm willing and able to replace it if I have to, but it would be nice if it were the angle gear instead. How can I test it or figure out ? Anybody have an idea? Also, if it is the transmission, any tips about whether there are certain brands/models to avoid, or better replacement options? Thanks

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Xc90 drive train problem diagnosis

Post by oragex » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:58 am

I dont think the angle gear would get that noisy, but who knows...

Does it drive at all ? If the transmission shifts fine, may look to something else. Try to upload a video

For the transmission, best way is to find a good place thats selling properly refurbished ones.

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: Xc90 drive train problem diagnosis

Post by wanderdüne » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 am

If it does turn out to be the transmission:
Triple Edge sells the best upgraded rebuild kits for this transmission; I'm not shilling; search online. You can contact Dave at https://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/ by email. Look in his "Info And Problems" first. Mine broke the forward apply band and I opted to get a 2.5T to replace my T6 instead of a rebuild at the mileage/condition it was in; but would have gone with Triple Edge kit if I had rebuilt it. Seems to be pretty doable for DIY; or have a shop install the kit. It is a modified GM 4T65-E transmission and here is a pdf that has great detail and contains the Volvo differences to the GM trans: https://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/up ... NDBOOK.pdf