IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

volvo-boost-pressure-valve-solenoid-valve?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

jonahjays
Year and Model: 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jonahjays

volvo-boost-pressure-valve-solenoid-valve?

Post by jonahjays » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:19 am

Hi All, I am looking for the name of a part on my 04 xc70. It has a hose from the air filter housing and another larger hose that goes down by the radiatior and another hose that goes to the engine. It is mounted to the side of the air Filter box and has an electrical connection. I thought it might be the turbo boost solenoid but when I look up that part, although similar looking it looks different .
20190924_095841[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: volvo-boost-pressure-valve-solenoid-valve?

Post by jimmy57 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:33 am

That is the auxilaiy vacuum pump switch. It turns on electric vacuum pump for the power brake booster whenever the engine provided vacuum is too low. This is usually in the first minute of a colder temp start when the variable valve timing and ignition timing are at settings that reduce the engine manifold vacuum to a very low level. The turbo control valve has three hoses that are about 10mm OD. It should be clipped to the air cleaner housing to opposite (backside) where this vac switch is located.

Note: that vac switch is guaranteed to break one day. If you remove it and use JB Weld metal filled epoxy and spread it around the sides to the bottom of the larger round potion as viewed in photo, it will go past the click tabs that hold the switch diaphragm chamber together. If you remove the switch and look , you will see the snap together tabs aand one will most likely already be broken. If you buy a new expensive switch from Volvo it already has been epoxied. I use the 5 minute cure version and after about 3 minutes of it being on switch it gets firmer. I wrap electrical tape around the epoxy band and it makes the repair look much better instead of looking like chewing gum was stuck on it.

jonahjays
Year and Model: 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jonahjays

Re: volvo-boost-pressure-valve-solenoid-valve?

Post by jonahjays » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Wow, Thanks JIMMY!