IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

ETM and or accelerator pedal issues.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

motovovo
Year and Model: 2001 Volvo V70 Base
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
motovovo

ETM and or accelerator pedal issues.

Post by motovovo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Hello all,

I suddenly had no throttle response from my car while driving to work one day. I limped home and my mechanic told me I needed a new ETM, I called XeModEx and got a repair/rebuilt one for my 2001, Base Wagon, 2.4L. It had the white label throttle body and I supplied XeModEx my VIN and I understood no reprogramming was required.

Installed the new T.B.and it ran just the same, poorly. My mechanic now told me the accelerator pedal unit has failed as well (he showed me the code), he replaced it and now it still runs as it initially did, poorly. Idle spikes up to 3000rpm, when I put in drive it sounds like it missing and has almost zero throttle response. It can max out at 35mph but takes 1/2 mile to get up to that speed. My mechanic told me the T.B was not even communicating with the computer. He unplugged it and it still ran, he said that shouldn't happen...and I agreed.

He then told me that both the throttle body and the pedal unit need reprogramming by Volvo. Is this accurate? Both? I guess I could understand the T.B. needing it but the pedal requires it, too?

Thank you.

My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists. ...

xHeart
Year and Model: 1997 854 NA
United States of America
xHeart

Re: ETM and or accelerator pedal issues.

Post by xHeart » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:28 pm

motovovo wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:58 pm
Hello all,

I suddenly had no throttle response from my car while driving to work one day. I limped home and my mechanic told me I needed a new ETM, I called XeModEx and got a repair/rebuilt one for my 2001, Base Wagon, 2.4L. It had the white label throttle body and I supplied XeModEx my VIN and I understood no reprogramming was required.

Installed the new T.B.and it ran just the same, poorly. My mechanic now told me the accelerator pedal unit has failed as well (he showed me the code), he replaced it and now it still runs as it initially did, poorly. Idle spikes up to 3000rpm, when I put in drive it sounds like it missing and has almost zero throttle response. It can max out at 35mph but takes 1/2 mile to get up to that speed. My mechanic told me the T.B was not even communicating with the computer. He unplugged it and it still ran, he said that shouldn't happen...and I agreed.

He then told me that both the throttle body and the pedal unit need reprogramming by Volvo. Is this accurate? Both? I guess I could understand the T.B. needing it but the pedal requires it, too?

Thank you.
This may help a little viewtopic.php?f=9&t=88004.
AP does not require programming, rarely fails.
It sounds like you have electrical issue.

--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +140mi/225km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +190mi/ +305km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Your throttle response sounds like the computer has initiated limp mode. This limits throttle response if petal position does not closely match the position of the ETM throttle plate. This looks to me like there is some electrical connectivity problem between the ETM , the ECM (Engine Control Module) and the CEM (Central Electronics Module). The ECM is in the cool box in front of the power steering tank. The CEM is under dash above the drivers left foot. The wiring harness is EVERYWHERE. See my posts without solutions to a similar problem.

Volvolugnut

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 pm

I think the accelerator pedal is the only thing that fails less than the ECUs...

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am

Did you check the ETM fuse? Does the new one power up when ignition is placed in PosII? They are very audible for about 10secs then click shut.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005
chrism

Post by chrism » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:27 am

If it were me I’d try unlatching and re-seating the ECM in its connection. It’s known to get flaky with age. Other than the $15 tool to unlatch and relatch the ECU it’s basically a free thing to check. Also closely examine the connector at the ETM end of the harness to make sure it’s still well pinned and making good contact to the ECM.

justanotherhumanoid
Year and Model: 2006 S60
United States of America
justanotherhumanoid

Post by justanotherhumanoid » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:12 am

I would also vote for a connection issue. I experienced an immediately obvious idle issue after I removed my throttle body/ETM for cleaning, reinstalled it and went to start up. The vehicle started, but idle RPM spiked a little then settled down but low and rough if I remember right (went into limp mode). I shut down immediately, turned out I had forgot to plug the ETM back in! (Was a late night after also doing the PCV system.) So check out the cable connection to the ETM, probably'll be tough to examine under the intake but it might be something as simple as cleaning the contacts, or perhaps the cable is damaged, so that might bear inspecting as well to the extent you can. Good luck and I hope you figure out your issue.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 am

justanotherhumanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:12 am
I would also vote for a connection issue. I experienced an immediately obvious idle issue after I removed my throttle body/ETM for cleaning, reinstalled it and went to start up. The vehicle started, but idle RPM spiked a little then settled down but low and rough if I remember right (went into limp mode). I shut down immediately, turned out I had forgot to plug the ETM back in! (Was a late night after also doing the PCV system.) So check out the cable connection to the ETM, probably'll be tough to examine under the intake but it might be something as simple as cleaning the contacts, or perhaps the cable is damaged, so that might bear inspecting as well to the extent you can. Good luck and I hope you figure out your issue.
I made the same mistake on Evans 2004, realized it on the drive home.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW