IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Checking Fuel Process In The XC

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Oka
Year and Model: XC70, 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Oka

Checking Fuel Process In The XC

Post by Oka » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 am

About five months ago, I replaced the fuel filter. I used to have hesitation until I replaced the fuel filter. All went well until about two months later, the hesitation started when applying gas as to overtake a car on the highway. It got worse with time. Now, the car won't start.

Any write-up on checking everything 'fuel'?
That is, from the Filter, Injectors, Regulator, Valve, Pump and any other fuel related write-up one might have.
What if the tank is dirty?

Thank you.

1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles
1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/146kMiles (Brown)
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/144kMiles (Burgundy)
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: Checking Fuel Process In The XC

Post by volvolugnut » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Can you find a way to monitor fuel pressure while driving? Then you could see if fuel pressure drops during these periods of hesitation. This sounds a bit like a dirty and restricted fuel filter, but could be other things. Does it occur at all fuel tank levels or more when fuel level is low? This would indicate the fuel pump has difficulty sucking in fuel and can't maintain enough flow to maintain full pressure. If you have dirty fuel or water in fuel then the filter will suffer. It least with a plastic tank you do not have a problem with rust forming inside the tank, but it could get rust from the storage tanks that you buy from.
I see now you can't start the car, so you will not be checking fuel pressure on the road. I remember now you have other posts about your no start problem. Will it start on ether/ starting fluid? Be careful and don't use too much.

Oka
Year and Model: XC70, 2001
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Oka

Re: Checking Fuel Process In The XC

Post by Oka » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 pm

volvolugnut wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:04 pm
Can you find a way to monitor fuel pressure while driving? Then you could see if fuel pressure drops during these periods of hesitation. This sounds a bit like a dirty and restricted fuel filter, but could be other things. Does it occur at all fuel tank levels or more when fuel level is low? This would indicate the fuel pump has difficulty sucking in fuel and can't maintain enough flow to maintain full pressure. If you have dirty fuel or water in fuel then the filter will suffer. It least with a plastic tank you do not have a problem with rust forming inside the tank, but it could get rust from the storage tanks that you buy from.
I see now you can't start the car, so you will not be checking fuel pressure on the road. I remember now you have other posts about your no start problem. Will it start on ether/ starting fluid? Be careful and don't use too much.
Though the filter is few about six months old, it could not be that, not if there is dirt in the tank.
I need to start from there to see if it is clogged by any chance. Will do that in a few minutes and will report back.

1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles
1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/146kMiles (Brown)
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/144kMiles (Burgundy)
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD