IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

AC on full blast when car starts up

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
HafizBahar
Year and Model: Xc90 T6 2004
Been thanked: 0
Brunei
HafizBahar

Volvo Repair Database AC on full blast when car starts up

Post by HafizBahar » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:37 am

I've been getting this problem since they've last recharged the ac and its quite peculiar. Everytime the car cold starts, the ac will kick into high gear everytime but some other times like a quick pop into the store it'll be normal. I'm assuming it's something to do with VIDA but i dont have access to one. What are your thoughts on this?

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: AC on full blast when car starts up

Post by wanderdüne » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:24 am

Do you mean that the engine cooling fan runs at very high speed when the car is started? That is what mine did when the A/C had been overfilled with refrigerant. Here is my thread on that: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85640&start=10

Not sure what you mean when you write that the A/C "will kick into high gear "? Please explain further.

Here is a link to download the VIDA:https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link
I am not sure about where you would be able to purchase a cloned DiCE unit where you live? That's all you would need with the software download.
These users thanked the author wanderdüne for the post:
HafizBahar

HafizBahar
Brunei
HafizBahar

Post by HafizBahar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:59 pm

No, i mean the blower motor runs on full blast for the hvac, and when on startup it goes into auto mode without any driver input.

So this is how it goes on a step by step walkthrough:
1.turn ignition on nothing out of the ordinary
2.start the car
3.AC on auto instantly and is blowing air at full speed
4.I have to turn it down with the fan control knob manually

just wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem as me to be honest.

thank you for link wanderdune! am sure to get a dice sooner than later :D

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 pm

There is a recalibration that one can perform of the Climate Control Module (CCM) using the VIDA/DiCE. The procedure is here: http://volvo-vida-2014.blogspot.com/201 ... volvo.html
I'm not sure if that would work for your issue and also there could be Volvo specific codes stored that could lead to understanding the problem. Those codes will not show up with a regular OBDII scanner.

You can still download the VIDA and input your car's information using it for general lookup and looking at repair procedures and such in advance of purchasing a DiCE. There's a lot to the system and it would be an advantage for you to familiarize yourself with the system.

In the meantime; you could follow this procedure; disconnecting and reconnecting the vehicle battery https://howardsvolvos.webs.com/miscissues.htm#207347288
the ECC mentioned is the same as the CCM in your XC90; just follow the steps. It might do something for your issue.

HafizBahar
Brunei
HafizBahar

Post by HafizBahar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Thank you so much for the help! will definitely try it out soon on the old gal, i had never heard of the battery disconnecting procedure. XD Thanks for the help wanderdune. really appreciate it!

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:23 am

So the question might be whether this is a normal thing or not? Could absolutely be, in Auto the cabin fan speed is temperature dependent.

If vehicle is warm inside and climate is set for Auto, fan is going to blow at high speed when first run in an effort to move some air and get the temp down as quickly as possible (to a point where it then becomes incremental speed manageable). If you were to wait a bit, fan should reduce speed on its own. If it does not after some time, then you might have a problem.

For anyone who ever mentions oddities with climate, first thing that comes to mind is to check and make sure the little grate above the 12v lighter socket is clean. There's a little fan behind that grate, sucks cabin air in for reference temp (little white dot behind the grate is a thermistor, leave it alone). Gently clean or vacuum that area, and do it on a regular basis.

I'm not sure you have an issue per se, as based on your last description. Getting a copy of VIDA loaded on a PC will certainly be helpful in advance of a DICE to connect to the vehicle.

**If you get VIDA loaded up you can enter your vehicle details and then select "Product Specifications" tab and the "Design and Function" drop-down. Go to 871: Climate Control Module (section 8, then 871) and select Function. Read the first part "controlling the climate in the passenger compartment". Auto climate is a somewhat involved thing. In re-reading your first post, the reason it's not full blast every time may also be intentional.

Last but not least, if it's behaving differently since you "recharged" the AC, then it might not hurt to double-check and ensure that whatever is in the system is correct.

edit 100519- add **
These users thanked the author ggleavitt for the post:
HafizBahar

2005 2.5T AWD-198k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-127k