IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Tires for Volvo S60?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 and XC60.
pshdars
Year and Model: 2012 Volvo S60 2.5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
pshdars

Tires for Volvo S60?

Post by pshdars » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Hello Volvo Owners!
I have a 2012 Volvo S60 T5 FWD and it needs tires. I lived into Houston and never had to worry about snow, but I recently moved east and now I'm not sure what types of tires to buy for the winter. Do I need a snow tire (I'm in Virginia), or will an all season tire work? I hate to go to a tire shop uninformed!
Susan

E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto
United States of America
E Showell

Re: Tires for Volvo S60?

Post by E Showell » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Of course, the answer is "it depends." Are you in a mountainous area of Virginia that frequently gets a lot of snow? Do you have lots of experience driving in the snow? Are you a lead foot, or can you shift down and avoid sudden steering inputs and braking action while maintain a safe following distance? Do you have a long gravel driveway that you want to be able to get up? Do your current tires (I am assuming all season radials) have a lot of remaining tread depth, or are they almost down to the wear bars. The advice I will provide depends on your answers.

Bear in mind that, although people who generalize are always wrong, your fellow Virginians aren't great drivers in the snow. This is because they don't get a lot of practice at it. So, another factor in your calculus may be the need to avoid other drivers who drive poorly in the snow and, most likely, do not have vehicles equipped with snow tires.
These users thanked the author E Showell for the post:
pshdars

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (actively for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic

E Showell
Year and Model: V70R '06 AWD Auto
United States of America
E Showell

Post by E Showell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:22 am

Were I in your shoes, I would look to find a used set of snows already mounted on wheels and use them through the winter (assuming you have some place to store a second set of wheels). Then pick up some new all season radials in the spring mounted on your existing wheels.
You will definitely notice better handling in snow with snow tires and it is much better not to be mounting and demounting tires on the same wheels to change between snows and all seasons.
These users thanked the author E Showell for the post:
pshdars

'98 V70 NA FWD 5 spd, silver sand metallic (sold)
'99 V70 NA FWD Auto, dark blue (actively for sale)
'99 S70 NA FWD Auto, black (sold and resurrected -- Don't cry for me Argentina . . . )
'07 S80 3.2 FWD Auto, Barents Blue Metallic
'06 V70 R AWD Auto, Sonic Blue Metallic
'04 XC70 Ruby Red Metallic

pshdars
Year and Model: 2012 Volvo S60 2.5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
pshdars

Post by pshdars » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Hello E Showell!

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate SO much for taking the time to respond to my post. Here are the answers to your questions:
  • I am about 1 hour from the mountainous areas of Virginia, so, likely, I will not be in this area with any frequency.
  • I DO have significant experience driving in the snow (I grew up in the mountains with feet of snow).
  • I do NOT a lead foot (learned my lesson early on--black ice). I understand downshifting (when and why).
  • No long driveway, no gravel.
  • Just measured tread depth and it is 16/32 all the way around and yes, all season radial.
E Showell wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:45 pm
Of course, the answer is "it depends." Are you in a mountainous area of Virginia that frequently gets a lot of snow? Do you have lots of experience driving in the snow? Are you a lead foot, or can you shift down and avoid sudden steering inputs and braking action while maintain a safe following distance? Do you have a long gravel driveway that you want to be able to get up? Do your current tires (I am assuming all season radials) have a lot of remaining tread depth, or are they almost down to the wear bars. The advice I will provide depends on your answers.

Bear in mind that, although people who generalize are always wrong, your fellow Virginians aren't great drivers in the snow. This is because they don't get a lot of practice at it. So, another factor in your calculus may be the need to avoid other drivers who drive poorly in the snow and, most likely, do not have vehicles equipped with snow tires.