IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2010 Volvo XC60 Fan Controller Replacement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 and XC60.
xc60sailor
Year and Model: 2010 XC60
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
xc60sailor

Volvo Repair Database 2010 Volvo XC60 Fan Controller Replacement

Post by xc60sailor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi -

I just changed my 2010 Volvo XC60 Fan Controller today. I used this site as a reference, I took some photos as I went along.

Here was my process:
1. Diagnosed the problem based on various posts and assumed for $32 it was the controller.
2. Located the controller on the internet.
Amazon: Radiator Cooling Fan Control Module For Volvo S60 S80 V70 XC80 XC60 7T438C609BA 7G919A819AA
ControllerTop.JPG
3. Took two days to get it. Driving the car around by disconnecting battery at long stops and for the night.
4. Tested removing the lower connectors, they came off easily, there is a catch you must press to remove the connectors.
5. Took pictures of all the connectors so I knew where they go back and don't cross wires (not sure if the connectors are keyed).
LeftRightConnectors.JPG
6. Removed lower connectors.
7. Clipped the wire tie holding top connector and then removed top connector.
ControllerFanView.JPG
8. The screw which holds the controller to the fan assembly is a pain to undo, so plan to use a small ratchet with a screw driver to remove. (You will need a Philips or cross head)
toughScrew.JPG
9. After that screw comes out, the controller is held with two tabs and the controller comes right out. (see clips below)
ControllerBottomShowingClips.JPG
10. Replaced the controller, put screw back in and then put wires on. (screw with wires will be a pain)
11. Tested, saw working, put a new wire tie back.
12. Tools away and posting this for you all.

Glad to find your site. This took me no more than 15 minutes.

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author xc60sailor for the post:
matthew1

earthworm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
earthworm

Re: 2010 Volvo XC60 Fan Controller Replacement

Post by earthworm » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for an excellent tutorial.
Your Volvo must be a whole lot easier to work on than my '03 !
After the '03 S60 fan stopped working on a reliable basis, I replaced the entire assembly - not knowing exactly what was ''dead''. I suppose I could have bypassed the controller and tested the fan - out of the car , on a workbench.

xc60sailor
United States of America
xc60sailor

Post by xc60sailor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:42 pm

earthworm, thx...
before I toss the old broken controller, I am capturing the barcode: (8/4/10 was the build date.)
barcode.JPG
and the upper connector view
UpperTopConnector.JPG
and the lower connectors view (warning that you could put the connectors in reversed, so make sure you record which goes to which side).
lowerConnectors.JPG
I may bust it open to see what is inside. I expect a relay or two... might see why it failed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:33 pm

It is transistorized with two big caps under the hump on left and right as viewed in the first pic. The fans are parallel as best I can tell so I know of no problem with reversing connectors other than the RH fan(smaller fan) requires a little bit of stretch to reach to the further connector. I think the weakness of these controllers is that they do not stage the fans. I have replaced a few controllers and had to replace them again, not due to run continuous, but due to fault code and shutting down fans completely. In that case I unplug RH fan and the controller will work the LH fan with no issue and engine does not run hot and a/c is OK but does not cool as well idling on a 100F day. I check current draw and the fans on the cars are OK. Each fan will have a surge of about 25 amps to start which drops to 17A for bigger fan and 15.5A for smaller. A brand new Volvo parts fan has those numbers. I am unsure why Volvo quit selling controller only. I have not checked but I wonder if Land Rover uses the same and sells it separately. I know the controller is applicable to several Ford, LR, and Jag models in Europe.
EDIT: LR2 dual fan shows same part number for Gates as XC60 but The only genuine LR part I found was almost $300.

xc60sailor
United States of America
xc60sailor

Post by xc60sailor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm

jimmy57... interesting... when I googled the part number, I did see Land Rover uses the same part. Thanks for letting us know the fans go in parallel. I will tell you I worked for a big car company and they sourced the parts from many vendors. If you asked them which parts went into each car, they couldn't tell you immediately or even both. The build sheets which went into the car get stored, but there was no index or importance to putting the list of parts which went into your car into a database. So three vendors could be sourcing the same part and you'd never be able to get the warranty from the correct vendor.