IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 s60 2.0T petrol not cranking after headunit removal

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

s60andyskinner
Year and Model: 2005 s60 2.0t
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
s60andyskinner

2005 s60 2.0T petrol not cranking after headunit removal

Post by s60andyskinner » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:03 pm

firstly just want to say hi to all in the forum and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me here...
i own a 2005 s60 2.0t petrol rhd over here in Scotland.uk.
last week the 6 cd changer was making even more noise than usual as for the last few weeks it has had the jamming discs problem going on and having tried the many ways i read on other forums to remove the offending discs none would solve the problem.i decided to remove the headunit for now as i plan on updating it over time anyway but keeping the factory amp and speakers.(sorry the head unit is the hu850 if not already stated).so again after reading many forum posts i left the ignition in pos.2 and disconnected battery.waited a while then stripped out the headunit.on returning to the car and refitting the cmm unit and housing all seemed well.got up early for work the next morning and car wouldn't even crank over nothing :cry: .i now had the srs service warning message i had tried hard to avoid but worse the car wasn't even turning over.had to borrow a car rest of week to and from work .
talked to a guy at work who came down with a volvo compatible fault reader who managed to clear the srs alert but now on his reader it was showing immoboliser error codes.sorry i do not have these to hand at time of writing.so it is as if the immoboliser has been tripped somehow and thus the car will not turn over.i also noticed couple of small things like the heated seats buttons no longer light up/work.or the heated screen.i am going to go over as many fuses as i can tommorrow. so in summary the car has the headunit and cmm all back in.battery has been charged and is relatively new anyway at 4-5 months.the info panel dim is showing "start up prevented try again" i have tried both the keys i got with the car but no luck there.
when the guy came down with the reader he thought the ignition key transponder might be to blame but just 2 days ago i went to my local technician of many years who advised that should not be to blame.like many i fear a large bill looming to get the car going again and being it is my daily driver to and from work panic is slowly setting in..
i now wish i had simply left the headunit to make its constant noise as it tried to eject discs and at least i would still have my reliable never let me down s60 outside the house but as yet no joy. any advice from anyone who maybe has had similar related problems i truly thank in advance.

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: 2005 s60 2.0T petrol not cranking after headunit removal

Post by volvolugnut » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:33 am

When you removed the CD head unit, did you perhaps disconnect intentionally or unintentionally any wires under the dash? The immoboliser communicates with CEM, ECM and I think the TCM. Try a battery disconnect and reconnect?

volvolugnut
These users thanked the author volvolugnut for the post:
s60andyskinner

s60andyskinner
Year and Model: 2005 s60 2.0t
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
s60andyskinner

Re: 2005 s60 2.0T petrol not cranking after headunit removal

Post by s60andyskinner » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm

hi "volvolugnut" i didn't disconnect any as far as i'm aware .was pretty dam careful to avoid that and carefully remove the main green plug,amp plug and small grey plug from the hu850 ,but yes i have since done another disconnect then reconnect of the battery and left the car to sit for a while.i then tried locking /unlocking from the original remote fob a few times just to see.still no crank up.i have 2 keys but can't locate any service key as i read a few links that using that key is worth a go as well.very frustrating at this point obviously.thanks for getting in touch by the way