IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

91 240 radiator support replacement...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

okihiro
Year and Model: 1991/240..2014/xc60r
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
okihiro

91 240 radiator support replacement...

Post by okihiro » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:22 pm

hello all,
an accident 3 years ago damaged the radiator support on my 91 240. ive decided to finally get to it and fix it this fall. if let my 240 sit in the driveway for the 3 years and so may things including bolts are rusted. progress is slow and my only 10mm socket is old and stripped.

so im wondering if ther is anything i need to look out for when pulling the support.... like do i need to remove the radiator first or do i need to remove the bumper? im a noob so please excuse the noob questions.

any caution would be greatly appreciated.

best,
chif

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvolugnut

Re: 91 240 radiator support replacement...

Post by volvolugnut » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:00 pm

First thing is to get yourself at least one good 10 mm socket. Better yet, get short 6 point, short 12 point and deep 6 or 12 point sockets. There are so many 10 mm bolts on these cars and a selection will make all work easier. If money is tight, go to pawn shops or flee markets for used tools of all kinds. Learn the better and worse brands to get even better value.

If your problem is the top hold down clamps for the radiator, then a salvage yard is a good place to get the clamps. If the bottom support is damaged, then look if this support (more of a tray) is bolted in or part of the front cross member. I don't remember how it is attached. In either case, the salvage yard is the place to get these parts. I don't think you will need to remove the bumper. Short answer is: always remove anything that is in the way of what you need to remove. Often you will know the best way after you finish.

volvolugnut
These users thanked the author volvolugnut for the post:
okihiro

okihiro
United States of America
okihiro

Post by okihiro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am

thank you vln!
the whole support looks damaged and so i have already bought a replacement. yes i see that the one socket that i am missing... the 10mm... seems to be everywhere on the front end. i do have a couple of follow up questions:
- why both 6 and 12 point?
- what is short and what is deep in terms o sockets?

regarding quality, i suppose snap ons would be good? yeah my local flea market is filled with sockets of unknown brands.

best,
chif

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Socket answers:
6 point sockets are good for heavy torque and hex heads/nuts that have been or have potential to round the points. However, they only fit six ways to the head or nut. 12 point sockets are good for general use. They are more likely to round the points but they fit head/nut 12 ways for quicker fitting.
Short sockets do not allow the bolt to extend beyond the nut very much without bottoming in the socket. A deep socket gives about an inch or more of extended thread beyond the nut with engagement on the nut. Useful on extra long nut travel like a belt slack adjuster.
Lots of good brands out there - snapon, craftsman, mac, Blackhawk, bluepoint, etc. I avoid Chinese and Taiwan brands, but these are improving. I like the flea market jumbled mess in a box where you can pick your selection of good stuff out of the junk.
volvolugnut

okihiro
United States of America
okihiro

Post by okihiro » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:26 pm

thank you for the pointers again!
so far i have removed the bolts that i can see and drilled out the two rivets holding the bottom of the support to the fenders.
i think the cables that run in front of the support is now holding it up.
regarding the radiator that the support holds... i think i have to remove that as well? or can i just remove the support from it and let the radiator hang there while i change out the support?

best,
chif