IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Hard Spot When Steering on turn in.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
Calabrio
Year and Model: 2007 C70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Calabrio

Hard Spot When Steering on turn in.

Post by Calabrio » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:41 am

When the steering wheel is centered at 12 o'clock and the wheels are straight, it is easy to to turn the wheel right.

But when moving the wheel from 12 o'clock to 11 o'clock going left, there's a single point of heavy resistance. Once past this point, everything is smooth and easy once again.

I've just bought the car with the condition. I replaced the both cv axles, control arms, ball joints, and out tie rods, but this problem still remains.

It feels perfectly fine, except for that initial resistance on the turn in when driving straight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions as to where the problem might be? Binding in the column? Bad fluid? Pump? Rack?

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Hard Spot When Steering on turn in.

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:28 am

Did you check the condition of the Strut Mounts?

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

Calabrio
United States of America
Calabrio

Post by Calabrio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 am

There's no evident signs they are bad (movement/noise/ect.)
It's a 100% rust free, Florida car.

I bought a set of new struts and mounts, but when I took the wheel off I saw that the last owner had already replaced the lower control arm (looked like a Dorman partnumber) and Struts (KYB).

I replaced everything else, but left the struts and shocks since I figured they must be pretty new, so I'd wait and get to drive the car a little.

Calabrio
United States of America
Calabrio

Post by Calabrio » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 am

Also, when the front is lifted, there's no symptoms of the problem.
I just replaced the p/s fluid. The system turned smooth and quiet when the front was in the air.

As mentioned, new LCA/ball joints, cv axles, tie rods on both sides.
I have the struts and mounts in the box, but even these were replaced at least once.