IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2003 Volvo S60 2.4T Throttle Body Issues.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

TheS60Guy
Year and Model: S60 2003
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
TheS60Guy

2003 Volvo S60 2.4T Throttle Body Issues.

Post by TheS60Guy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a new Volvo owner. I'm having some issues with my 03' S60 and want to get some advice as to what I should do about them. The engine currently has around 220,000 miles and has been driving great since I bought it (around 5 months ago).

This weekend when I went to start up my car, it immediately gave me the "Reduced Engine Performance" warning with my check engine light on. I restarted the car and it continued to stay in limp mode.

Today I went over to the mechanic to get it diagnosed and these are the ECM codes that came out:

ECM-6805 - Boost pressure control fault
ECM-6806 - Turbo control valve pressure low
ECM-4050 - Fuel level signal missing
ECM-91B7 - Throttle unit signal missing

My mechanic cleared the codes and the car began running and driving like it was before, so this seems to be a temporary fix. He did mention that the issue is very likely to happen again as it does seem to be a throttle body issue. As well as that he said that he re-adapted the throttle body so that might give it a bit of extra mileage. However, I do have a few questions that I want to ask the community.

Firstly, how long can I drive with the current state of my throttle body and how soon should I consider getting it replaced? Also, I want to know if it's something a buddy and I could do or if I should take it to the shop to have it done. Finally, because of the other codes, would you all think that there are other issues that need to be addressed aside from the throttle body will replacing the throttle body would clear the other codes.

I am sort of new to working with cars and I really don't have a lot of knowledge about them so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 2003 Volvo S60 2.4T Throttle Body Issues.

Post by abscate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:40 am

My experience with throttle bodies is that once they begin to fault, you get 5000-10000 miles before they finally give up, and driving it with small pedal move to, like a Grandma , will help lengthen that.

A new one isn’t too bad about $302, a junkyard one cheap but a bit riskier of course. If you get 3 from a junkyard you will pay 1/5 of that and probably get one that will work , too.

Don’t forget a new gasket. Not a bad first job to tackle with a friend who has turned a wrench or two.
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
TheS60Guy

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

TheS60Guy
Year and Model: S60 2003
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
TheS60Guy

Post by TheS60Guy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 am

Just a quick update:

The car drove fine yesterday in the morning without any problems aside from terrible roads. Didn't start the car all day, and the Reduced Engine Performance warning came back on along with limp mode. Restarted the car, the same warning came on but the car didn't go into limp mode so I luckily got it back to the mechanic. It's in the shop today and I'm getting the throttle body replaced through him since it's about 20 degrees outside and I can't be asked to try and replace it in this weather. I'll let you all know if every ECM code clears after the repair or if there are other issues. Hopefully, I'm just looking at a new throttle body.

mp5802
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
mp5802

Post by mp5802 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am

When I got my 01 V70 T5 5 years ago I had continual issues with the throttle body (TB). I had numerous related codes, such as: ECM-9150, 9160, and 903F. Eventually, I sent my TB to XeMODeX to have it rebuilt (took less than a week). ALL of the codes disappeared and the car ran much better.

I'm not a Volvo mechanic, but I don't think many of your DTC codes are TB-related. However, owning one of these older Volvos is a process of elimination. (You need a bit of masochism in you to own and love an old Volvo.) I'd repair/replace your TB and then see what codes come back, then work on those issues. Yes, if you have basic DIY automotive skills, you can R&R your own TB. Good luck.

Also, If you plan on keeping this car long-term, buy or build yourself a VIDA laptop with a DICE connection, a must-have troubleshooting tool.

BTW, I'd recommend the XeMODex TB over even a new Volvo unit because they pre-program each unit for your VIN, rebuild many components, and they install a new contact-less TPS that doesn't wear out like the original units. Also, they are much less expensive than a new OEM TB. After over 4 years and another 20K miles, my TB is is still working flawlessly.
Check out XeMODex here: https://xemodex.com/us/product/electron ... 821-10-20/