IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Air Intake Hose Hard To Push On The Throttle

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Oka
Year and Model: XC70, 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Oka

Air Intake Hose Hard To Push On The Throttle

Post by Oka » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Installed a new throttle body. I am having hard time pushing back on the air intake hose. Any trick to doing this? I have seem to have been pushing the hose hard (up) on the throttle body.
Thanks

1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles
1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/146kMiles (Brown)
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/144kMiles (Burgundy)
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Re: Air Intake Hose Hard To Push On The Throttle

Post by - Pete - » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Loosen/slacken the band clamp a bit more. Even with the band clamp loose it does take a little shove, but it goes up pretty easily.

2001 V70XC 142k
2004 V70 AWD 134k
2004 V70R M66 142k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 V70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:55 am

While you have the intake tube off, look it over to see if any wear spots are developing. Can save a no start condition later when you have a hole in the tube.
To install, start the intercooler end, but do not tighten. This will get the tube up in proper position to align with the throttle body. The band clamp has to be loose enough to get over the lip on the throttle. Perhaps a little film of engine oil on the inside of the tube. Wiggle and push the tube on. Check with light and mirror that tube is all the way up all around the throttle neck. Tighten both ends securely - max boost can blow it off.

volvolugnut

2001 V70 T5, 1986 244DL, 1983 245DL, 1975 245DL, 1959 PV544, multiple parts cars.

amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 am

In the past I have also used Vasoline (no longer use) or dielectric grease (silicone grease) to help hoses get on.

I don't use a lot. .Just a light film on the lip of the part I'm sliding the hose onto.
It's it's really stubborn, you could use a hair dryer to warm up the rubber . That sometimes makes it more pliable and more agreeable to slipping over the tube it's supposed to be on

Oka
United States of America
Oka

Post by Oka » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:19 am

- Pete - wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Loosen/slacken the band clamp a bit more. Even with the band clamp loose it does take a little shove, but it goes up pretty easily.
I had loosened the band clamp.
Thank you.
Last edited by Oka on Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oka
United States of America
Oka

Post by Oka » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:23 am

volvolugnut wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:55 am
While you have the intake tube off, look it over to see if any wear spots are developing. Can save a no start condition later when you have a hole in the tube.
To install, start the intercooler end, but do not tighten. This will get the tube up in proper position to align with the throttle body. The band clamp has to be loose enough to get over the lip on the throttle. Perhaps a little film of engine oil on the inside of the tube. Wiggle and push the tube on. Check with light and mirror that tube is all the way up all around the throttle neck. Tighten both ends securely - max boost can blow it off.

volvolugnut
Surely, will remove the hose to give it a thorough check,, it looks okay though. But I will.
I was avoiding using any oil base product since it is rubber. Maybe a little bit won't hurt it.
I have been using my telescopic mirror to check.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Oka
United States of America
Oka

Post by Oka » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:28 am

amblerman wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 am
. . . you could use a hair dryer to warm up the rubber . That sometimes makes it more pliable and more agreeable to slipping over the tube it's supposed to be on
No doubt warming it up a little bit surely WILL do the trick. If all fails, I will try this.
Thanks for that idea.

earthworm
Year and Model: 2003 S60
United States of America
earthworm

Post by earthworm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:56 am

Like humans , a hose becomes old, frail, hard and inflexible . If plastic, it may be too old and will have to be replaced..DO use silicone paste to make coupling easier , the hot air is a good idea - but I have never used this - I was thinking about using HOT water, but this has its limitations ..

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I have used hair dryer to warm that hose and the similar hose on other makes to make installation possible. Heat guns are much hotter and can melt stuff before you know it. I have used hot water but drying and handling to install allows it to cool if it is in a cold loacation. You can get the hose under the intake and slip it toward driver's side and get the hole "mouth" warmed and then it will go on.

Oka
United States of America
Oka

Hesitation Then Car Died. Will Turn The Engine But Won't Start

Post by Oka » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 am

ISSUES
1. Remote starter would not start the car when the outside temperature is as low as 40F.
2. Removed this remote starter and installed a more sophisticated remote starter.
This new device, still will not start at about same temperature.
3. Car hesitates when accelerated to overtake another vehicle.
4. During normal driving, sometimes, the car hesitates intermittently and continues to drive normally.
5. Last month, stopped at the red light, took off and the car lost power. I could not go more than 18MPH.
6. After about two miles, it stalled. When it is started, it immediately stops.
7. Fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail and before the fuel filter read "normal" pressure.
Purchased Fuel Pressure Sensor. Found out the 2001 XC does not have such, though it is in the
manufacturer's parts catalog - confirmed it's non-existence for that year manufacture.
8. Checked the throttle body and found out it has a white label and the car has 158,960 miles.

WORK DONE
I must say kudos to you all, for all your effort to help me through troubleshooting what the issue(s) might be.
I decided to order the Throttle device from XeMODeX, though more expensive, it is sent to you,
pre-programed with your VIN number; just plug-an-play. One interesting check was the fuse for the throttle
to the electronic module. The XeMODex instruction was to check and replace it since it must have burnt; and it was.

For the hose, it was so hard to get it over the throttle body. I thought using small grease or oil would have been my last solution.
I first tried a hair dryer. I had my thumb on the edge of the hose checking it's durability with the heat. The edge did not really
show it was soft enough, but immediately, I pushed it up there with some and it 'flopped' on it. Tightening the clamp was a big pain
since it cannot be help well to screw on the clamp bolt. I did my best to hold the clam with my left finger with I at least tighten it
enough to hold on while clamp it on tighter.

TESTING
Installed a new battery Platinum H6-AGM with 760CCA and 950 CA.
When all was back in place, turned the ignition and the car started right away.
Drove it outside, washed it, let it sit for a while, tried the remote starter, it started.
SATURDAY
I let it sit the whole afternoon, the next morning.
SUNDAY
The temperature was 27F, the remote starter started the car.
Turned it off, tried it again, it started. Did not touch it till this morning.
TUESDAY
The temperature in early morning was 20F. The remote starter started the car right away.
Removed the new battery and put back the previous battery just to eliminate the previous
issues as from the battery.
WEDNESDAY
This morning the temp was about 25F, and the remote starter started right away.

OBSERVATIONS
When I drove it, I noticed the car drove much more smoother and it's acceleration was much more
responsive and smoother. I love it!

I also noticed the engine at idle and neutral gear is about 700 RPM. That is nor normal, right?
REV.jpg

SIDE NOTE
I bought a 3/8" Milwaukee Ratchet (cordless) to do this work. I am happy I got this tool for future car work.
Made things more bearable for me. The ratchet came out handy removing and installing the
throttle body, this ratchet worked out so fine.

CONCLUSION
I am happy with all the work I did with all the great help from you all. Seriously, I really appreciate all your help
till next project comes up. Now, am ready for the looming winter in the Last Frontier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles
1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/146kMiles (Brown)
2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/144kMiles (Burgundy)
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD