IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Super rattly rattle (or is it squeak?) on front end when turning left, V70XC

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

leapdragon
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
leapdragon

Super rattly rattle (or is it squeak?) on front end when turning left, V70XC

Post by leapdragon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi all,

Been a while, I've been enjoying trouble-free operation from my 2002 V70XC for a couple years now, but something new:

I've developed a very clickity-clack rattle, metallic, not low pitched and throaty but more high-pitched, sounding like solid metal on metal. It happens whenever I turn right, for the duration of the turn.

It doesn't sound like bearings, and both front bearings are newish (~2y, 25k miles). They feel nice and tight and smooth.

I've had both front wheels off and:

- Control arms and ball joints look good
- Tie rods and joints are nice and tight
- Rack is nice and tight
- Sway end links seem tight and smooth
- No play or movement in calipers or pads
- Nothing seems to rattle when I bang on or shake stuff up front on either side

I've had the hood up and checked the spring seats and they're sound and tight.

The only think I can think of is that it must be the sway bar bushings. I can't make it move at all when the car is up on jackstands and the wheels are off, but visually I feel like I can see rubber bushings that aren't as tight as they could be around the bar.

But... I'm stabbing in the dark.

Before I start ordering parts and just replacing stuff—has anyone had this problem and it turned out to be something else that I'm missing? A relatively high-frequency metallic rattle when turning in one direction or another?

Input appreciated, otherwise, it's start with the sway bar bushings and go from there one part at a time.
Last edited by leapdragon on Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Super rattly rattle on front end when turning left, V70XC

Post by oragex » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:24 pm

For the sway bar, the bushings can look quite bad until they start being noisy .. mines are really beaten up/crashed and only start making their clunky clunk after driving for a while with lot of turns and only in hot summer days. But they don't sound high pitched. And they cost a lot to replace -usually takes a complete OEM bar for a proper job

Good idea not to rush into replacing parts randomly. I'd say, high pitching noise when turning to one side is rare to see on forums, so may take some time to find the culprit.

Start looking at the protection plate behind each brake disc - it may have been bent and touching when the wheel is turned

Look at the power steering reservoir, the fluid level is marked on the cap bar. Good to tighten a little all clamps under the reservoir and at the pump. The reservoir also has a small tube at the upper return line, that can detach and drop inside the reservoir

May also test the pulleys on the serpentine belt - usually done by removing the belt and spinning them by hand.

For the spring seats can also ask a helper to turn the steering with the engine on, on a bad one the top strut plate will move randomly up and down while rotating

BlackBart
Year and Model: 2004 XC70 BlackBetty
Sweden
BlackBart

Post by BlackBart » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Sounds a lot like an outer CV joint. Turning, loud clicks and pops, metal on metal.

ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon
2004 XC70 wagon BlackBetty
Is it time for a 1964 122 wagon?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:42 am

Trying going off/ on pedal during turn to see if loading the CV joint changes the noise. I think Bart got this one right

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

leapdragon
leapdragon

Post by leapdragon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for your input so far.

@orangex that's a great list of things to check, will try to hit each one of them over the next few days.

@blackbart and @abscate, thanks for the outer CV joint thought, that's a good check as well. I'll hit a large parking lot to see whether applying torque via a bit of acceleration changes the noise or not.

Will report back in a couple of days once I've had a chance to go down the list. Appreciate the help, all!

leapdragon
leapdragon

Post by leapdragon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 am

Okay, maybe not a rattle but a squeak?

With a bit of a "hack" (called: phone dangling precariously in midair between driver's side wheel well and driver's side window) I got a recording of the sound. From inside the car or with my head out the window it sounds like a rattle. But what the phone has picked up sounds like more of a squeak:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5ljbgxf95zlo ... 0.mp4?dl=0

(That's me driving in a tight circle very slowly around a lamp post.)

Some things I was able to test on morning errands:

- Sound is not affected by load/no load on gas pedal
- Sound is not affected by brake/no brake
- Sound is not affected by bumpiness of road
- Sound does not seem to be affected by speed, fast or slow cornering is the same
- Sound is not consistent with speed of wheel rotation (i.e. it sounds random, not regularly patterned)
- Evident even with a very slight right turn, but more evident the more acute the turn

It definitely sounds like it's coming from the wheel/hub/tire area, though I know this can be misleading.

I'm tempted already this morning to pull that wheel off again and give everything another go-over but I've already had it off twice.

Serpentine belt is new. I have a new tensioner as well that I didn't get on yet (was waiting for a T60 to arrive) BUT that said, the tensioner doesn't sound bad and this sound seems definitely to be coming from the driver's side lower front area, esp. wheel well. Steering feels smooth, i.e. no grinding.

Gut still says something with driver's front wheel/hub/axle/suspension, still feels like a noise that results not from constant velocity friction (i.e. a rub or knock with every turn of something) but with the jigglyjiggly of general car motion.

Car is dead silent when moving straight or turning left. :-|

BlackBart
Sweden
BlackBart

Re: Super rattly rattle (or is it squeak?) on front end when turning left, V70XC

Post by BlackBart » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 am

I think you have some large omnivorous varmint living in your wheelwell.

ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Super rattly rattle (or is it squeak?) on front end when turning left, V70XC

Post by abscate » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:01 am

It sounds like a bit like a brake backing blade noise rubbing on turn, but that’s a new one!

Not CV or wheel bearing noise , imho.

Could be PS pump noise , have you tried with SERP belt off?

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am

If from front wheels, grab the axles with the car on ground and see how much play to them www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQkFPYjh5E

If from rear wheels, maybe one of those delaminated rear parking brake shoes ? Might lift them rear wheels are give em a spin

BlackBart
Sweden
BlackBart

Post by BlackBart » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:56 pm

Have you found the noise?

ex-1984 245T wagon
1994 850T wagon