IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

LED Headlight Conversion (revisited)

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

MrAl
Year and Model: v70, 1998
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
MrAl

LED Headlight Conversion (revisited)

Post by MrAl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello there,

I was again looking into headlight conversion for my v70 1998 and wondered if there was some recommended model or type or anything. Of course i am after the brightest i can get now. The replacement job should be easy though.

Thanks.

I’ve been driving a Volvo long before anyone ever paid me to drive one.
1998 v70 on the road since April 2nd, 2015

WhatAmIDoing
Year and Model: 1998 S70 T5M
Canada
WhatAmIDoing

Re: LED Headlight Conversion (revisited)

Post by WhatAmIDoing » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 pm

For a good LED conversion that doesn't make everyone else on the road hate you, you will need new headlight assemblies that are designed for LEDs as well as a quality LED conversion kit. I gave up on LED conversions when I nabbed a set of ABM projectors doomed for scrap. Paired with a top shelf halogen or xenon bulb, the ABM projectors put lots of light down the road and not in everyone's eyes.

It's an expensive upgrade, but not really any more than what a quality LED conversion would cost. I think ABM projectors are LED ready, but I'm not certain I've heard that through an official channel (someone who knows what they're talking about).

'98 S70 T5M - 270,000+mi - forever a project
'99 S70 "AWD" - 218,000+mi - project
Knows enough to be dangerous :wink:

Stu70
Year and Model: 1998 S70 10v
New Zealand
Stu70

Post by Stu70 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:34 pm

IPD recommend the ABMs are fitted with halogen only - LED and HIDs get too hot apparently.
Even with halogens I find the need to clean a white powdery ‘dust’ off the reflector when I notice light output dropping every six months or so. I’d be interested to know if any one else with the ABMs has noticed this...

1998 S70 10v BiFuel “it’s a what??”

MrAl
United States of America
MrAl

Post by MrAl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for the info so far.

So how do i get the "projector" headlamps made for the 1998 v70?
Is there a special kit or something?

Thanks.

P.S.
How hard are they to install ?

nickelghandi
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo S70 GLT
United States of America
nickelghandi

Post by nickelghandi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:42 am

I have the ABM projector headlight assembly with some Auxbeam GT Series LEDs for low and Auxbeam FS3 LEDs for high beams. They make great light and do not blind anyone else. HID's will damage the reflector and the lens though it is likely the UV rather than the heat. I do not think HID's get as hot as halogens. LED's do make some heat but it is in the circuitry. If you modify the back side of your dust cap to accommodate the large heat sink for the LED's you won't have any trouble. I have been running this setup for 3 years now without issue. I'll try to post some photos to better show what I mean later if I can remember.

Yes you need a "kit" although you are actually replacing your headlight housings. You can get ABM's on IPD although they are currently out of stock. I found my pair on Ebay.

Some have also modded their stock housings to use projectors. This can be done by acquiring a projector retrofit kit and a clear lens or sanding and polishing your stock lenses to remove the diffraction grating and make them clear.

shegarty
Year and Model: 1998
Canada
shegarty

Post by shegarty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:48 am

I have the ABM projectors installed on my 98 S70 and they are a vast improvement over the stock assemblies even with just the standard halogen bulbs. They are easy to install (just three bolts and the clips on the sidemarkers) and can be done in under an hour easily for both sides. They are adjustable as well, I bought mine used so I am still trying to get them where I want them. You can find them on ebay but a lot of the ones for sale have the clips on the sidemarkers broken, it's fairly easy to jerry rig something with a couple of zip ties though. Another option is to find a set of "jewel" style lights that were available on the C70's.

current - 98 S70 T5 SE (225k km)
previous - 90 745T (400k km - sold); 94 855 T5 - (206k km - blown timing idler bearing)

MrAl
United States of America
MrAl

Post by MrAl » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:58 am

Hi again,

Well the problem is i have no model number or anything like that and i would hate to take the sellers word for it that it fits the car i have because i had problems with eBay advertising in the past.
So maybe a model number or link would help here so i can take a look and see what i am up against.

Thanks much.

shegarty
Year and Model: 1998
Canada
shegarty

Post by shegarty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 am

Here's the link to Eurosport, looks like they have them in stock ... https://www.eurosporttuning.com/brands/abm.html

current - 98 S70 T5 SE (225k km)
previous - 90 745T (400k km - sold); 94 855 T5 - (206k km - blown timing idler bearing)

MrAl
United States of America
MrAl

Post by MrAl » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:12 am

shegarty wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 am
Here's the link to Eurosport, looks like they have them in stock ... https://www.eurosporttuning.com/brands/abm.html

Hi,

Yikes thoses things are a lot more expensive than i thought.
I was thinking more like 100 USD or something.
Looks like i am stuck with stock LED replacements for now.

Now let's see ... where did i put those heart pills <chuckle> :-)

MrAl
United States of America
MrAl

Post by MrAl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:27 am

Hello again,

Ok the verdict is in. I got a pair of 'regular' LED headlights and installed only the passenger side 'bulb' for now. I then moved the car about 20 to 30 feet away from the garage doors. The passenger side light shines on the right door, the drivers side (still halogen) shines on the left door. The right door appears brighter by about 2 times.

Unfortunately, 2 times isnt that much in terms of lighting. It's OK but not a lighthouse.
So there is some improvement for sure but maybe not as much as i had hoped.

That was the far light test.
The close light test (right in front of the car within maybe 15 feet) looks about the same.
So the light is brighter for objects about 20 to 30 feet away but probably not for those very close to the car front.

I took some pictures and maybe i'll take more tonight before i install the drivers side lamp. I'll start a new thread with pics of the brightness. The pics i did take so far show it to be brighter, but not really as good as a real life view.
I did not do a color rendition test yet either. Unfortunately the garage doors are painted a yucky green color so it is hard to judge if there is really any color change. Surely the lamps themselves look different though. The halogen has that characteristic yellow orange color while the LED has a very white color. I'll try to hold some objects in front to see if there is much color difference using halogen over the white LED.

The LED type in this set is made by "CREE" a company that i have knownf of for a long time that's why i went for these kind. I have a 70 watt flashlight i got with CREE LED's and it lights up the whole driveway. If i had two of those for headlamps it would be truly awesome. I might bring that out there too for a comparison.

Stay tuned :-)