IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Solved - Car Stranded - Won't start, no click, lights on, no push start - 99 s70 base manual trans

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

smacknab
Year and Model: 99 s70 NA Manual
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
smacknab

Solved - Car Stranded - Won't start, no click, lights on, no push start - 99 s70 base manual trans

Post by smacknab » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 am

Hi everyone,

Yesterday morning I got a needed car-win when my car cleanly passed inspection, but by 11pm the car was dead on the side of a Boston side street about 15 miles from my house, where it still is.

It is a 99 s70 base with manual transmission

About 10pm last night the car stalled (I think my fault) when pulling it out of a parallel parking spot then suddenly the engine would turn at all. A really nice guy came with a jumper box to offer me a jump, but that didn't work. We tried push starting it on a side street and that also did nothing (to be fair it was my first time trying it).

All the lights, radio, horn etc work with the key in, and they dim when trying to turn the key to start. However the car makes no noise that can be heard from the drivers seat. I checked what I think are all the proper fuses and nothing was clearly burnt.

Any suggestions?

Worth noting:
Two days ago I replaced the fuel filter and o2 sensor, and drove the car about 200 miles. During that drive a small intermittent noise which was diagnosed as the alternator clutch (volvo Indy shop) and I have outlined in this forum, became very loud consistent squeal that was especially loud at start up. I picked up a used alternator yesterday afternoon to swap in, which is now sitting in my back seat haha.
Also, this problem sort of happened a couple days ago, car stalled while turning it around in my driveway, initially it seems like nothing happened when I turned the key, then tried again and it started. Not sure if they're 100% related.
Last edited by smacknab on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

850 LPT
Year and Model: 96' 850
United States of America
850 LPT

Re: Car Stranded - Won't start, no click, lights on, no push start - 99 s70 base manual trans

Post by 850 LPT » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:39 am

Well this is a real drag, that's for sure.

I am not sure if this can be properly diagnosed on the side of the road. It might make sense to get it towed to your indie's shop. Does the engine crank at all? If not you may have a bad starter. If it does crank you can troubleshoot further:

A no start condition like this could be caused by many things. Bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay comes to mind. A bad cam sensor can cause this too.
As a first step you could check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail, it should be around 43 psi. You can remove the cap on the Schrader valve and use a cheap tire pressure gauge. Turn the key so the fuel pump primes the fuel rail. If you have fuel pressure, go on to see if you have spark. If not, then your fuel pump or relay is the problem.

I am not sure the alternator is at fault here because the car would still start with a jump.

Good luck,

Dirk
These users thanked the author 850 LPT for the post:
smacknab

96' 850 sedan, base, auto, pewter/charcoal, 111k miles
99' S70, base, 5-speed manual, nautic blue/ tan, 213k miles
04' V70, auto, ash gold/ tan, 225k miles, daughters car
05' V70, 5-speed manual, loaded, mistral green/ tan, 146k miles
79' Ford Capri S, Euro Spec 2.8 V6, T9 5-speed manual
58' Porsche Diesel Junior
13' Honda Odyssey :oops:

Chuck W
Year and Model: 97 854 T5
United States of America
Chuck W

Re: Car Stranded - Won't start, no click, lights on, no push start - 99 s70 base manual trans

Post by Chuck W » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:58 am

Had it been hard/slow to start previously?

It could be a bad starter/solenoid. We had the main power wire between the solenoid/starter motor go bad and eventually split on my old '96NA. It's kind of a short wire that's hard to see in the car. The car would crank slowly, especially more so when cold, but we had chalked it up to the old battery. It was actually that cable slowly corroding and finally splitting from the solenoid.

We had full lights and power, but nada when the key was turned to start (and had just driven the car an hour, stopped to get a drink and came out to a car that wouldn't start).

We were able to push start it with help from a couple bystanders. It's possible, with your admitted inexperience at push starting the car, perhaps another attempt might be warranted. *Usually* a couple people can get the car rolling fast enough, but if one has to jump in and do the "key in run-clutch in-in gear-clutch out-hope the car fires-clutch in" shuffle it can be a little difficult for someone new to it.

Not sure how many your "we" was, but maybe take a couple friends back and try again?
These users thanked the author Chuck W for the post:
smacknab

Herb Goltz
Year and Model: V70 2000
Canada
Herb Goltz

Post by Herb Goltz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:34 am

I have had two no start other electrics working, both of which involved a breakage of the wire between the solenoid and the starter body. Check for 12V on the green thin wire while attempting to crank. If you have voltage, suspect the starter. In one case I was able to jumper the broken braided wire and start the car at the roadside. Good luck!
These users thanked the author Herb Goltz for the post:
smacknab

smacknab
United States of America
smacknab

Post by smacknab » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:44 am

So I have low voltage but I tried again with a jumper box with no luck. I checked the connections on the starter and it seems ok, they're getting the same voltage as the battery reads. I don't have a second set of hands at the moment but I tried by laying the multimeter probes on/wedging them against the green jumper side of the solenoid/starter and the negative terminal. Looks like I'm only getting about 2/3 volts, but it's super hard for me to see.

I tried checking the Schrader valve, I get about 20 psi after trying to turn it a few times, not sure if I'm supposed to test it while turning it?

Here's a video of trying to start it. The voltage drops by about 20% not sure if that's a determining factor. If anyone has the time, can you hear the sound when trying to turn the ignition? Does it sound normal?

Chuck W
Year and Model: 97 854 T5
United States of America
Chuck W

Post by Chuck W » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 am

My bet is that you have a dead starter.
These users thanked the author Chuck W for the post:
smacknab

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Get a full charge into the battery. 1999 cars run ME7 or Denso engine management, neither one likes low battery voltage since both ignition and fuel management are all electronic.

Read up on the 'remote starter bypass' so you can assess if your getting good crank signal to your starter.

WARNING _ with a standard transmission, you can drive over yourself using the remote bypass.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

smacknab
United States of America
smacknab

Post by smacknab » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Replaced the starter and still no dice. I'll try to get the battery charged and try again

misha
Year and Model: '97 850 2.5 20v
Serbia
misha

Post by misha » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:37 pm

11.9v is TOTALLY discharged battery and multimeter reads only 11.2v :!:
12.6v fully charged(100%)
12.2v 50% of charge.

Battery is DEAD.

'97 850 2.5 20v /fully equipped/ Motronic 4.4 / polar white wagon
'91 Citroen XM 2.0 SI /fully equipped/mandarine red metallic
History of Volvos in the family:
'71 144 S
'73 144 De Luxe
'78 244 DL
'78 244 DL
'79 244 GLE
'85 340 GLS

smacknab
United States of America
smacknab

Post by smacknab » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Just replaced the battery and still having the same problem. I noticed that after trying to start it that I can hear an electrical noise coming from this piece. When I touch it I feel it vibrating, when I unplug it it stops and starts again. After about 1 minute it stopped vibrating and I heard a click.. so maybe it's stuck open or closed? Or a relay?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.