IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Popvolvo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 pm
Year and Model: 2009
Location: Honduras
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Honduras
Popvolvo

2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by Popvolvo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello,
I took my Volvo XC90 2009 5D AWD to the agency's repair shop and after a lot of testing they told me the problem that my vehicle has is the Turbo actuator. So they gave me this photo with the code for me to have a possibility to buy it by myself:

Image

The thing is, I can't find only one option for the replacement, I don't know the G number, but I found a page that has two OEM number's, but I don't know which is the one for my vehicle:

6NW009543 |763797 | G-26 | H-04WT2
6NW009543 |763797 | G-27 | H-05HT2

My main question is, Is it possible to know which one is without having to take the replacement part again? if so, is there a reliable place where I can buy a new OEM part for this? I searched and I can just find chinese copies.

If you are wondering why I don't just tell the agency to give me the complete code or just to double check myself...well, the agency will only take it out again for a fee (a pretty expensive one) and they erased all the photos they had of the actuator, I think it's pretty lame from their side and I am so upset about it, they don't know the complete code either. I wanted to check it by myself, but I can't find a tutorial or something clear so disassemble the car. This is my last source. Thank you for reading and for your time.



User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 3212
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 374 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 pm

The G number is stamped on the metal part of the Turbo actuator have then look for it.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
Popvolvo


Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 3212
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 374 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Pretty sure the G number is the Garrett G Series turbocharger that the actuator mates up with.


Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

wanderdüne
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
Location: kitchen
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by wanderdüne » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 pm

We don't have the D5 here in the USA. I looked a little bit online and it appears that which Turbo Actuator you have depends on the horsepower (hp) of the engine in your XC90.

Here is a link to a VIN decoder. If you enter the Vehicle Identification Number here, it will tell you what hp your engine has: https://volvoforums.com/forum/vindecoder.php

Here is a link to a Volvo forum in the U.K. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37
They have the D5 there and might be better able to answer your question.
Last edited by wanderdüne on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author wanderdüne for the post:
Popvolvo



wanderdüne
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
Location: kitchen
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by wanderdüne » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am

Based on what I see, the G-27 is for the 163hp version. The G-26 is for the 185hp version.
The part is not available from Volvo, they only ever sold it as a complete unit with the turbocharger attached.
The only choices, then, are a new (China) knockoff unit or a re-manufactured Hella unit. Here is a link to one company in the U.K. that sells the re-manufactured unit: https://www.actronics.co.uk/actuator/he ... rett-turbo
just enter the vehicle details then click on "OEM Number" and scroll down to find the G-26 or G27 choices. I do not know if they ship to the Americas, you could try calling them or e-mailing them. They would probably be able to confirm which product is right for your application. I would believe that they are reputable because the EU is highly regulated in that way.
Here is the link for the same company based in Spain if Spanish works better for you for contacting: https://www.actronics.es/?_ga=2.5537789 ... 1571801668

If you want to be able to diagnose this yourself and need a guide for the procedure, then you need the Volvo VIDA/DiCE. This is the scan tool that Volvo uses. You can get a copy of the software (VIDA) here to download: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link This contains the information about all repairs on the Volvo.
If you want to scan and diagnose, you need to purchase a DiCE (hardware) unit to use in conjunction with the VIDA software. Here is a link to one on ebay here in the USA: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDA-DICE-2014 ... Sw9XhdcGJD
This is just an example. If you buy one like this you do not use the CD ROM that comes with it, use only the tool in conjunction with the software download above. Throw the CD away.
These users thanked the author wanderdüne for the post:
Popvolvo



Popvolvo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 pm
Year and Model: 2009
Location: Honduras
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Honduras
Popvolvo

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by Popvolvo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am

wanderdüne wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 pm
We don't have the D5 here in the USA. I looked a little bit online and it appears that which Turbo Actuator you have depends on the horsepower (hp) of the engine in your XC90.

Here is a link to a VIN decoder. If you enter the Vehicle Identification Number here, it will tell you what hp your engine has: https://volvoforums.com/forum/vindecoder.php

Here is a link to a Volvo forum in the U.K. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37
They have the D5 there and might be better able to answer your question.
Thank you for your response and help! I tried using the page you provided for the VIN, but it said my vin number is invalid. So I searched a bit and found another one, the HP for my vehicle is 185 HP, which is great to know since I didn't have idea. Also, thank you for the link to the other forum, I didn't know the D5 wasn't in the States.
wanderdüne wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am
Based on what I see, the G-27 is for the 163hp version. The G-26 is for the 185hp version.
The part is not available from Volvo, they only ever sold it as a complete unit with the turbocharger attached.
The only choices, then, are a new (China) knockoff unit or a re-manufactured Hella unit. Here is a link to one company in the U.K. that sells the re-manufactured unit: https://www.actronics.co.uk/actuator/he ... rett-turbo
just enter the vehicle details then click on "OEM Number" and scroll down to find the G-26 or G27 choices. I do not know if they ship to the Americas, you could try calling them or e-mailing them. They would probably be able to confirm which product is right for your application. I would believe that they are reputable because the EU is highly regulated in that way.
Here is the link for the same company based in Spain if Spanish works better for you for contacting: https://www.actronics.es/?_ga=2.5537789 ... 1571801668

If you want to be able to diagnose this yourself and need a guide for the procedure, then you need the Volvo VIDA/DiCE. This is the scan tool that Volvo uses. You can get a copy of the software (VIDA) here to download: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link This contains the information about all repairs on the Volvo.
If you want to scan and diagnose, you need to purchase a DiCE (hardware) unit to use in conjunction with the VIDA software. Here is a link to one on ebay here in the USA: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDA-DICE-2014 ... Sw9XhdcGJD
This is just an example. If you buy one like this you do not use the CD ROM that comes with it, use only the tool in conjunction with the software download above. Throw the CD away.
I now know the HP of my car is 185 HP, so probably the replacement I need is the G-26. To bad I can't get the original part, I also saw that originals can be fixed, but I'm not sure how that works. That UK website was the only one I found and actually I got the codes I posted above from there. It looked kind of fishy, since I have never bought something from the UK, I will try to contact them.

Do you think is worth it to have the scan tool volvo uses? I saw a few videos and It's cool to know I can see all the replacement parts and codes for the car, I can easily search from there, that is great and also look at the error codes and such, I can make the service by my own. I am a bit afraid of touching something in the software I shouldn't and break something, though. If I buy one of this, I imagine these are knockoffs from china, including the one in the link, but will any of these still work with the software? (or buy a cheaper one, I saw some other options for $50 usd).

Thank you for the help I really appreciate you take some of your time and give a helping hand, I am pretty new to this kind of things.
I will keep you updated if possible, it will take some time to buy some of these things since shipping times take way longer to my country. Will make a bit more of research and see my possibilities.

Thank you!



Popvolvo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 pm
Year and Model: 2009
Location: Honduras
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 0
Honduras
Popvolvo

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by Popvolvo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:29 am

Do you think that a chinese knockoff will serve well? I am affraid it will not work or will corrupt other parts? (Not sure if that's even possible, but it doesn't hurt to ask, sorry if this question is kind of dumb).

I read a bit more on the actronics website and sadly for me they only serve shops and concessionaire. Guess I don't have much of an option.



User avatar
RickHaleParker
Posts: 3212
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:30 pm
Year and Model: See Signature below.
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 374 times
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by RickHaleParker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 am

wanderdüne wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am
You can get a copy of the software (VIDA) here to download: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link This contains the information about all repairs on the Volvo.
That is the old kludgy buggy way to do VIDA. Read up on the 2014D_RePack. No VM needed, works with IE11 and I got it working in Google Chrome which bypassed a lot of issues.
Last edited by RickHaleParker on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
Popvolvo


Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

wanderdüne
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
Location: kitchen
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by wanderdüne » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 am

Great, I'm glad you were able to find the engine specs.
That website is mentioned quite a few times in the U.K. Volvo forum that I linked to you, so I'd not be too concerned. They also look to be located in several countries in the E.U.; I doubt it's a scam.

Yes, the DiCE units are "knockoffs" from China, but they do work; try to find one with free returns, though, just in case. The CD's that come with them might have malware, so don't use them. Don't be concerned about the DiCE unit causing a problem; it's the software that matters for that. That's why we don't use the CD that comes with the DiCE.

****look above to the link for VIDA that RickHaleParker added, it may be that this is an even better and easier option to obtain the VIDA software***

The DiCE is just plug and play if you have the VIDA software installed.
For sure, you can make some mistakes with VIDA/DiCE if you aren't careful, but for the most part, changing the software requires a link to Volvo. You can always ask on here if you have questions about it's use.
You can use the VIDA software to see definitions and repair and replacement procedures. You would just sign in as "admin" click "define vehicle", entering your VIN and then completing the definition boxes that are not filled out . Input the partner group to EUR and INT. You can explore the software without the DiCE and get comfortable using it.
I just looked on mine, entering just the 2009 D5 profile, and there is not a procedure for changing out just the Turbo Actuator because Volvo changes out the entire unit. There are tests one can do with the DiCE attached to see what is going on, though.
I would advise that since you now know your XC90 is the D5 185 that you post that on the U.K. Volvo forum and see if anyone can advise you on what the procedure would be to replace just the actuator and maybe some feedback on the re-builder company and what other's experiences with them have been.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
These users thanked the author wanderdüne for the post:
Popvolvo



wanderdüne
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
Location: kitchen
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: 2009 Volvo XC90 - Hella Turbo Actuator Replacement

Post by wanderdüne » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:00 pm

RickHaleParker wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 am
wanderdüne wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am
You can get a copy of the software (VIDA) here to download: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link This contains the information about all repairs on the Volvo.
That is the old kludgy buggy way to do VIDA. Read up on the 2014D_RePack. No VM needed, works with IE11 and we got a Chrome that works good.
RickHaleParker, Is that the link for that download in post #8?



Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post