IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Crank but no start

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Wardhill
Year and Model: 2001v70 xc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Wardhill

Crank but no start

Post by Wardhill » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:30 am

As the title says my 2001 xc 70 will crank but won’t start my crank shaft sensor seemed to test faulty so I replaced that. Still no start. There is fuel in the fuel rail so pump seems to be working. Originally engine fired up for about 5 seconds then quit. I appreciate any suggestion where to go next
Thanks
Jeff

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Crank but no start

Post by RickHaleParker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Turn key to POS II, wait 10 seconds then crank.
Give it a three second shot of starter fluid see if it hits on the starter fluid.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

shiretowndown
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
shiretowndown

Re: Crank but no start

Post by shiretowndown » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Vehicle: 2005 XC70 Cross Country

About 3-4 weeks ago I was able to get my XC70 to start up and run again. It had been sitting for several weeks and I was having the dreaded "crank/turnover but no start" issue. I'm not sure what I did to fix the issue but it fired up one evening and it's been great for about 3-4 weeks now. I will say that during my trouble shooting I did the following:

- Charged battery overnight
- swapped relays for starter
- replaced key battery and intentionally made sure key was flipped out straight on crank attempt (key flip spring is broken)
- unlocked and locked vehicle 5 times

All of this was done over about a week. After it started I also replaced the immobilizer key ring antenna just cause. I do have a Camshaft Position Sensor CEL code that I haven't cleared/fixed as it is the difficult cam sensor to replace. I fixed a small evap leak by getting a new gas filler cap. I always am getting the "alarm system service required" message in my message center upon startup and my sunroof won't open so I'm assuming my siren isn't functioning?

So things were going along great for 3-4 weeks.

Then, tonight, at O'Reilly I come out of the store to try and start vehicle and she turned over and over but wouldn't fire up and I got the "immobilizer" message, and here my questions begins:

Can attempting to start the vehicle but releasing key too early (before combustion) cause an immobilizer fault? That's what seemed to happen...or maybe I released the key out of habit and it wasn't going to start anyways? My dad sat/dropped down into passenger seat on my initial start attempt?

I went through the unlock/lock procedure. My dad moved the shifter. we made sure key was straight and I tried locking vehicle and setting off panic alarm (and it sounded so the siren works!!) then re-cranking....and no luck.

My mom was on her way to pick us up.

Then I found the troubleshoot list on www.youcanic.com : https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/volvo-wont-start-problem

Step 1 is to turn key on and move shifter to Neutral position and attempt a crank. If no crank then move back to Park and attempt a crank. This I did and the girl started!

Is this indicative of a https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... vo-8636441 issue? I have no code except a Cam Position Sensor showing. Wouldn't I see a code?

I'll see if she cranks in the morning again...

Thanks in advance guys.