IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2010 XC60 tailgate won't stay up (goes up and down fine)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
aaronlife
Year and Model: 2010 Volvo XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
aaronlife

2010 XC60 tailgate won't stay up (goes up and down fine)

Post by aaronlife » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this group as I've just encountered my first volvo issue that looks tricky to solve, and I haven't found a solution to my issue in the threads.

I have a 2010 xc60 and the lift gate opens and closes fine, under power, but if I open it, when it reaches the open point, it slowly comes back down under the weight of the tailgate. If I press the close button, it closes quickly.

I replaced the right strut and that didn't help.

So, I am assuming there is some leak in the hydraulic system, but as the pump opens and closes it fine, I don't know where to start.

Failure of bleeding system, bad o-ring, I don't know where to start. I don't see any fluid externally visible, so I will have to pull off the rear interior cover, just looking to see if anyone has been through this, as the dealer costs make this prohibitive to bring it there, and even parts online start at $300+ for the hydraulic components, except for the hoses and o-rings.

Thank you,
Aaron

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 2010 XC60 tailgate won't stay up (goes up and down fine)

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 pm

The one P3 with power tailgate via hydraulic system I ever saw had the seal on cylinder piston leaking. That is a typical hydraulic cylinder where oil pressure on one port extends and the other port retracts the rod. If the piston seal leaks then the cylinder rod will not stay in place. The other thing that could cause it is a bad solenoid as that also seals the system so the tailgate cylinder holds in place. You cn prop the tailgat open with a stick of the right length and then detach the cylinder end from tailgate. I could hear the fluid hiss inside cylinder on the one I repaired. I suppose a leaking solenoid would hiss inside tailgate as that is where the pump and module reside on XC60.

aaronlife
United States of America
aaronlife

Post by aaronlife » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm

wow, thanks!! great info!

aaronlife
United States of America
aaronlife

Post by aaronlife » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am

I haven't taken it apart yet, but I noticed that the hydraulic rod makes noise like it's rubbing on the inside, which I recall noticing before this failure started. i also noticed that if i catch and hold the hatch partially open as it falls, the pump eventually realizes it is partially open and turns on again to push it open, but if it slowly falls all the way to the bottom it just thinks it was manually closed and doesn't respond. does this suggest the hydraulic cylinder is the issue? that's my guess, but I wasn't sure how the solenoid works...

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:42 am

The module has a pressure switch to stop motor at full open and that will run the motor if you grab it when it leaks down. Switches like that have a higher pressure point for one contact position and a lower one for changing contact position. I can push up on a properly functioning tailgate already open and get the pump to run. When it leaks down the pressure likely doesn't fall enough to trigger the pump but holding it lets it drop and triggers pump. None of that tells you whether the leak is solenoid or piston seal. you will have to listen closely while pulling it down to see if it makes noise and to determine whether that noise is from cylinder or from pump unit inside tailgate.

aaronlife
United States of America
aaronlife

Post by aaronlife » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:19 am

Gotcha thanks again, I really appreciate your clear informative response. Will do...

aaronlife
United States of America
aaronlife

Post by aaronlife » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:02 am

I disconnected the hydraulic piston from the hatch and couldn't compress it by hand, reconnected it and could hear the piston make noise as the hatch slowly closes, hard for me to say if it's normal noise or piston leak, but the hatch is falling faster now so the seal leak, wherever it is, is getting worse. I'll take off the hatch cover next...