IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Clone DICE (plural) , how do I get them to work?

How to buy, install and use VIDA, VADIS, DiCE, VMWare and all the questions and answers that come with these tools.
r-p
Year and Model: V70 D5AWDGtronic'04
Been thanked: 0
r-p

Clone DICE (plural) , how do I get them to work?

Post by r-p » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am

Story: they are my brother-in-laws, so I accept no banter about me buying crappy clones :mrgreen:

One was faulty out of the box and a new one was shipped. This second one (or possibly the first one???) has worked on my old XP pro laptop on a VIDA version. Last time I got said laptop to start up, it had passed the expiration date of VIDA, so it was no use.
Same with another laptop specific for car-readout software (all other kinds of generic OBD software still run fine).

So I decided to put VIDA on my new W10 laptop and this works now (2014D), as in, I can open it and get some info on my car by inputting the VIN.

But when connecting the first (broken?) DICE, I get it to show up in DICE-diagnostics, but that's all. I can't test it in any way.
When looking in device management, this page refreshes every second, so there is something not right.*
Green blinking firmware status LED
Yellow USB com status LED
Blue Bluetooth com status LED
REDish Vehicle interface status LED
(* Of course when attaching it for this thread, it seems to function all of a sudden in DICE diagnostics, no more refreshing of the device manager page, but still not visible in VIDA)

Second DICE: does not show up in DICE-diagnostics at all. In device management, it shows as USB to UART bridge and I have since downloaded drivers from https://www.silabs.com/products/develop ... cp-drivers but that changes nothing.
Red solid firmware status LED
Green USB com status LED
? Bluetooth com status LED
Green Vehicle interface status LED
12V supply through coaxial plug shows no LED's, so this is purely on USB power.

I'm not using VM or any other stuff I don't understand, so what is my next step?
I am testing the DICE-units in my home with a 12V powersupply, not on the actual OBD port.

Does posting the pics of the units and/or PCB's help? Many old links about this don't have working pics anymore, so this is one of the reasons for giving up on trying to find the solution myself and posting it here.

r-p
Year and Model: V70 D5AWDGtronic'04
Been thanked: 0
r-p

Re: Clone DICE (plural) , how do I get them to work?

Post by r-p » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Follow-up

DICE (1) has a Teleca PCB. I think I read about those being the original PCB's? Or was it a somewhat decent knock-off?

DICE (2) has a blue markless PCB.

The green PCB has more chips so first simple conclusion is that that one might have more options and might be worth putting more effort into getting to work. (EDIT: they seem to be digital isolators, not sure why you would need 4 of them, maybe 8 channels input and 8 channels output?)

The blue PCB's coaxial-plug powersupply-pins were not connected to anything (...), but I wired them into the OBD-plug connector's 12V feed so I can go on testing outside the car and feed it 12V. The OBD-connector has 9 pins and the PCB side has 10 pins. Pretty much my first lesson on making PCB's was that you should always make sure you cannot swap connectors unless pinout is identical and make sure you cannot plug them in wrong way round. This 9-pin connector can be mounted on this 10-pin recepticle on the PCB's in 4 (!) ways and only 1 way is correct.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Clone DICE (plural) , how do I get them to work?

Post by RickHaleParker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:09 pm

r-p wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am

(* Of course when attaching it for this thread, it seems to function all of a sudden in DICE diagnostics, no more refreshing of the device manager page, but still not visible in VIDA)
Solution (99% of the time):
Vida DVD:\Install\Utils\EnableIEHostingxxx.reg .
Make sure you run the right one for your operating system.
xxx =x64 is for 64bit operating systems,
xxx =x86 is for 32bit operating systems
Reboot and login.

As for the second DiCE. It is a nonstandard clone that deviates from the original design. The software that came with was patched to work with it. You will not be able to get it to work with most Vida distros.

Buying a clone is not the problem. Buying from the lowest bidder is.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
r-p

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold