IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo S80 T6 2004 - Tight tappets & valve adjustment.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
James02Marsh
Year and Model: Volvo S80 T6 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
James02Marsh

Volvo S80 T6 2004 - Tight tappets & valve adjustment.

Post by James02Marsh » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:37 am

This vehicle has an LPG conversion. Recently on starting it has been misfiring (on most cylinders) first on petrol & the when it switches over, on gas. After a time it usually cures itself & runs OK but it appears to be getting worse.
I have been told that because it has the LPG conversion the valve & tappets have not been given enough 'lubrication' which they would normally get from petrol & that the tappets are tight & the valves need adjustment. I have been told the tappets are hydraulic & not adjustable - I'm not sure abou the valves.

Glad for any helpful comments on this please.

Thanks,

James.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Volvo S80 T6 2004 - Tight tappets & valve adjustment.

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:52 pm

I think this is your part number for the lifters or tappets: 1298586

If I recall correctly these are not hydraulic or adjustable - they are "solid", but not solid as in one lump of metal. They are not adjustable.

The valves are also a fixed length, therefore not adjustable.

I have also heard that LPG is hard on the valve train - I don't fully understand it as the oil is coming from above and should be bathing everything nicely. Extra heat should be handled by the computer. My reading on the matter gives no perfect answer. LPG leaves a cleaner engine and engine oil, but like your experience I have heard of issues with valves.

Have you tried changing your oil to one designed for LPG?

James02Marsh
Year and Model: Volvo S80 T6 2004
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
James02Marsh

Post by James02Marsh » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:34 am

Thanks, that seems to confirm what I have been told. I have recently put an additive into the oil & also the petrol. It now appears to run on petrol without problems. On LPG it is still missing, or variable. I didn't know that there was a specific oil for LPG, but I'm told that there is a 'lubricating' system which is sometimes put in alongside the LPG system when it's installed, which my vehicle does not have.
Any other comments are gratefully received. This has been a very reliable & easy vehicle up to now & I'd be sad to have to change it.

Thanks again,

James.

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 pm

James02Marsh wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:34 am
Thanks, that seems to confirm what I have been told. I have recently put an additive into the oil & also the petrol. It now appears to run on petrol without problems. On LPG it is still missing, or variable. I didn't know that there was a specific oil for LPG, but I'm told that there is a 'lubricating' system which is sometimes put in alongside the LPG system when it's installed, which my vehicle does not have.
Any other comments are gratefully received. This has been a very reliable & easy vehicle up to now & I'd be sad to have to change it.

Thanks again,

James.
Hendon Way Motors is one of Europe's largest dealers in Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar and AC Cobra

Hendon Way Motors
393-395 Hendon Way
London NW4 3LP
England

Don't know how far you are from here? If you are close purchase some Swepco Motor Oil or Swepco 502.

"This Porsche is a genuine M491 SuperSport one of only 37 RHD Targas and obviously has the desirable G50 Gearbox (Swepco Oil too)."

https://www.hendonwaymotors.co.uk/car-s ... /11086.htm

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 pm

A 2004 Volvo engine uses solid tappets. The tappets are sized in increments are are changed to adjust valve clearance once a full measurement of all tappet to camshaft base lobe clearances is made. Gaseous fuel engines if factory built that way have hardened seats and valve faces to withstand greater wear that no fuel lubrication and no exhaust deposits will give the valve and seat contact area. If the LPG/CNG system is added by a converter later then the enhancements will not be in the engine for that service. The wear does decrease the clearance and can result in loss of valve sealing if the wear is great enough to eliminate the clearance.