IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help Needed With Head Gasket Repair 2006 S40 2.4L Auto

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
VolvoS402006
Year and Model: 2006 Volvo S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
VolvoS402006

Help Needed With Head Gasket Repair 2006 S40 2.4L Auto

Post by VolvoS402006 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm

This has been my daily driver for the last six years, the car always ran great no hard starts, no white smoke, no sign of oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. However a week ago there was so much pressure in the coolant tank it created a leak in the expansion tank. I ordered a new tank and cap but there is still a great deal of pressure in the expansion tank!
I have not driven the car since the original expansion tank leak. I did start the car when I replaced the expansion tank. I had the resevior cap off so I could add coolant as need but water was blowing out so I shut it off.
I pulled the plugs and the number one cylinder plug was shiny clean, the other plugs were not as clean. From what I have read here this means my head gasket is leaking. :(
So I am replacing the head gasket on my 2006 S40 2.4L automatic. I found a great post on doing this and I thought it was something I could manage. I bought all the parts as suggested in the head gasket repair post on here. It seemed pretty straight forward and I have begun the project, but I am running into some bolts on the exhaust manifold I can not loosen as well as concerns about getting it all back together correctly with properly tightening the head down and getting the timing right. I am afraid this may be more complicated than I realized. :oops:
My question is..... :?:
Has anyone else ever run into something similar?
What was the solution?
Are there indy mechanics out there for something like this?
I live outside of Tampa if anyone knows of a mechanic I could hire or assist me I would be very appreciative.
Thanks for any feedback.
Joel
Last edited by matthew1 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title. Please, no "ALL CAPS"s in titles.