IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Xc 90 2.5 T 2005 Rear left wheel braking when accelerate,left rigt or climbing a hill.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
GazmorGuri75
Year and Model: 2005 xc 90 2.5 T AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Albania
GazmorGuri75

Xc 90 2.5 T 2005 Rear left wheel braking when accelerate,left rigt or climbing a hill.

Post by GazmorGuri75 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 am

Some days before start to hear braking noise on rear wheel,driver side.
I can hear at dhe moment that I push the gas pedal,turning right or left,more when start to climb.
On srtaight road the car is ok,going down hill is ok.

I tryed to push harder and that moment Anti Skid Service Requried apeear on dash screen.

Turning of the ingnition key,turning on again no message,but only FWD and no noise on rear wheel.
With Vida Dice I check,Low Pressure Oil on Haldex,resseting and again AWD,again the noise come back.

Please,could somebody help to understand abou this problem ?

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: Xc 90 2.5 T 2005 Rear left wheel braking when accelerate,left rigt or climbing a hill.

Post by ggleavitt » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:58 am

I'm going to try and guess at what you're describing, please correct me when to see this:
-You have a metallic sound from the rear end, seems to come when you accelerate the vehicle, more when turning left and right and when going up a hill or other load on vehicle.
-If you continue to accelerate, you get an antiskid message.
-When you turn off the vhicle and turn back on, antiskid message goes away but you only have FWD (no AWD).
-With DICE, you get a DEM code for low oil in AOC. When you reset the code, your AWD comes back.

Assuming AOC fluid and filter were never changed on this 14 year old vehicle, you have a decent chance that the Haldex pump is straining and/or the pressure switch is damaged due to degraded fluid. It's maybe why you see the issue only under load (AOC pump fires up, a fluid pressure value is expected in a certain time), DEM-0002 is generated and AWD shuts down (it's in the code description). For this one, if you're lucky, a fluid and filter swap will make the code go away permanently. If the fluid is really bad, you'll probably want to pull the pump and clean the strainer (driveline flange has to come off I think for this Haldex version), just new fluid and filter may not give you the best results, plus pulling the pump will get the most of the old fluid out. This thread has some good information viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30549 , the last post from cn90 is what I have used in the past and is done on a 2005 so version is same as what you own. If you're not sure about the Haldex and want to do some further checking, Xemodex has a good troubleshooting page for pump and DEM- https://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/

Now to the sound. If it's only on acceleration or load and eventually results in a DEM code, I'm wondering if you have a stripped angle gear interface as well. Only question in my mind is whether it's fully stripped or not. Easy way to check is with cold vehicle on the ground and safely parked (blocked) so that you can crawl up underneath and try to turn the driveline with your hand. If you can turn it more than just some driveline slop, the angle gear interface is failed. But I'm really wondering if what you have is a "failing" angle gear which has some sleeve/input splines left and you're hearing the noise only when the AOC engages and the rear end loads up. For that test you may have to get the vehicle on a lift with all wheels spinning to see what's working and what's not.

I might have been inclined to suspect a bad rear wheel bearing at this age for your sound but that's usually a humming that goes away as you steer the vehicle at speed.

Certainly could be something else but this is what immediately comes to mind if my characterization of your symptoms is accurate.

Thanks

2005 2.5T AWD-196k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-126k

GazmorGuri75
Albania
GazmorGuri75

Re: Xc 90 2.5 T 2005 Rear left wheel braking when accelerate,left rigt or climbing a hill.

Post by GazmorGuri75 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 am

Hello

Thanks for your a explanation.

The problem start with sound at rear left wheel,after passing to D,push the gas pedal start the sound.

Acelerating the sound go more louder,even it I go straight,turnin left or right.,that means that came from rear of the car when I accelerate.

On straight road I cant feel,but if you start the car on hill it is louder.

The noise as I understand came from left caliper,so the brakes try to stop rotation.

At first notice of this problem I didn have problem with Antiskid,now it cames two times and it come when I tried to accelerate harder even on straight road.It is like ABS works only for this wheel,the reason I dont know.

Somebody told me that maybe something about the gears inside the diff,could be the problem of diff.

GazmorGuri75
Albania
GazmorGuri75

Post by GazmorGuri75 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 am

With Dice,low pressure on AOC,that trigger Antiskid.
I have lift the car,all the four wheels ok.
I accelerate and turning left or right but no noise.

It seems that the rear brake caliper tried to stop the wheel,but only when I push the gas pedal.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 am

Then the angle gear is probably solid and you should be able to do new fluid and a filter, see if the pressure issue resolves while you look into the noise. I'll "guess" the comment about differential is the same I mentioned (angle gear).

Pressure code comes from engaging the DEM, which normally means front wheel slip. You need to fix the DEM pressure issue anyway, see what comes after.

2005 2.5T AWD-196k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-126k

GazmorGuri75
Albania
GazmorGuri75

Post by GazmorGuri75 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm

I have some knowledge about cars,.
I have change diff oil,still same problem.
Low pressure value that came from AOC,it was reseted,noise still is the same.

I think must change entire rear diff. with another used,that was what mechanic advise to me.

He told me that is mechanical fault inside the rear diff.

I am not really convicted,but I have to try.