IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Active Bending Lights Replacement [2014 XC90]

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
1997volvo850
Year and Model: 1997 Volvo 850
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
1997volvo850

Active Bending Lights Replacement [2014 XC90]

Post by 1997volvo850 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm

The driver's side headlight on our 2014 XC90 failed recently.

I understand these are referred to as 'Active Bending Lights'.

According to the manual you need to go to a dealer to have these replaced due to the high voltages involved.

The owner's manual doesn't even provide the part number for the active headlight, only for vehicles with standard halogen bulbs.

If this is true this will be the first vehicle I own where I'm not qualified to change a headlight bulb (or unit).

I've searched on Google and on this site and didn't find any instructions on how to deal with the active bending headlights so I'm wondering if this is truly serviced by-dealer only.

I can only imagine what this might cost to have the dealer install the bulb.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Active Bending Lights Replacement [2014 XC90]

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:58 pm

You change the bulb with the ignition off. The bulbs are different but not difficult. Halogen bulb access is no walk in the park on so many cars. The headlights on that XC90 are way over on the easy side of the scale due to the removal of the whole lamp being very easy. You remove the lamp and take it in the house or any warm comfortable place.
Philips has a youtube on it: