IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Discount Tire saga - one slow leak Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Discount Tire saga - one slow leak

Post by matthew1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 am

dt.jpg
So on my VW I got a slow leak, a screw between the treads. That was 3 weeks ago. Been there, done that.

I filled it in my garage a few times... the total leak time from full 36 psi to flat (~12 psi) was 24 hours.

Then I threw on the spare and took the whole wheel to a Discount Tire and left it there to get patched. They said they'd replace it, with a pro-rated cost to me of $58 because I'd bought the tires there in the summer and that's how it worked. So far so good, even with a 45 minute wait dropping the wheel off. That was two weeks ago today.

Then I call a few times in the intervening days, on hold for sometimes 20 minutes, and the two times I got a person they said they'd call back the next day, and that they were sorry. I'm driving with a full-height but not full-width spare this whole time.

Today I went in and waited outside before they opened. I'd had it.

I get up to the front and the front-of-the-house guy says it's done, been done. Do I want to take the wheel? I said it'd been 2 weeks, and can't you put it on? He mumbled they have a 50-car backlog from Saturday, but then when I was resigned to taking the wheel, he asked for my key, and my VW was brought into a bay.

Then we did the payment, and this is where I'm not mad at them, I'm mad at myself. I swiped for $58 just to GTFO of there.

Here's where I'm torqued: I put max 6k miles on the tires I bought there in June or July. At $132 new, that's 44% of the cost of new. So 2.27 x 6k miles = 13.6 = what they're pro-rating the tires out to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: Discount Tire saga - one slow leak

Post by abscate » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 am

I have to say, my Cooper guy in Glenmont NY, Tom Labarge, gives me lifetime flat and balance on every tire in the fleet.

I take any leaker off in the driveway, drive over , 3 minutes away, and he does them while I wait since i don’t need a Bay.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 am

Wait. 13k miles is the base? Huh?

So now I'm home, but no way am I going back in (45 minute wait) or calling (? wait). So I called regional, asking for an explanation.

Nobody there could answer my pro rating question, but they'd call back (ha!). So I'm waiting for a callback from regional.

I should never have done this pro rating BS. I should have taken the tire to https://www.google.com/search?q=palma+t ... d0902259,1,,, Palma Tires nearby, where I've had screws removed and patched for as little as $10.

For some reason I wanted to do this the official way because of the newness of the tires.

And I didn't even get to keep the old tire because it "has to go back to Continental".

Unless something very magical happens when (if!) regional calls, I'm done with Discount Tire.

They're very busy this time of year because everyone with an SUV they don't need gets snow tires they don't need.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 am

abscate wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 am
I have to say, my Cooper guy in Glenmont NY, Tom Labarge, gives me lifetime flat and balance on every tire in the fleet.

I take any leaker off in the driveway, drive over , 3 minutes away, and he does them while I wait since i don’t need a Bay.
I don't need this right now.

:lol:

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:20 am

I just added the receipt image to the head post. The tires were 138, not $132, and it looks like they stuck me with a $19 refund cert (!) to send the tire back to Continental. Huh.

Maybe someone here can explain the rest, the pro rating, because the receipt mentions a 50k base mileage.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:22 am

Ah, and there's another BS $20 charge on there, so the pro rating is starting to make sense.

So my anger is now directed at this $40 of BS.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:45 am

I do buy tires from them for their mileage warranty, but I never let them have any of our vehicles. I bring the wheels in to them & am stern when I let them know that there better not be any bar code stickers on the beads when they put the rubber on the rims. I can't tell you how many times I've had bead leaks because their gorillas in the bays just leave the stickers on, don't bother cleaning the junk off the rim from the old tire etc. I'm fed up with their crap too. For screws & nails I pick up I've just resorted to doing them myself with the little black tar snake thing you poke into the hole after the offending leak causer is removed. Works perfect every time.

One time recently I had just put the snows (12/32's tread remaining mind you) back on our Mazdaspeed6 & lo and behold 3 of the 4 were visibly low within a day of putting them on. So I brought the 3 into the Shakopee store & the manager said "no problem, I'll call you when they are done. I knew 1 had a nail in it but the other 2 were bead leaks & the tires only had 2k miles on them. My wife went to pick them up & the same manager tells her "they were leaking at the beads because they were rusty..." Aluminum might corrode a little, but it doesn't rust as far as I know. Then he said since it's the rims fault for the bead leaks it'll be $40/tire to fix. I'll let your imagination figure out the rest of the story as my wife is no dummy & hates bully type mentalities. She walked out with 3 "fixed" tires & didn't even reach for her wallet.

Fast forward to this fall & I'm getting the same snows out (now with a little over 3k on them) & sure as shit, bead leaks on 3/4 tires. SOB. I marked with a sharpie where the bead leaks were on all 3 tires so I'd know where to look once I got the beads broken down. So I break down the sidewalls with my HF cheapy tire changer & what do I find? Bead leaks on all 3 where the barcode sticker is still intact. Not to mention grit, sand, and some chaulky residue on the mating surfaces of both the rubber and rims.

Oh, and guess how much corrosion, er, I mean rust was on the rims?

2001 V70XC 142k
2004 V70 AWD 134k
2004 V70R M66 142k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:18 am

I feel fortunate to be within driving distance of Tire Rack HQ. I don't bother driving 30 miles just to get a tire patched though. I just get it done at the local garage for $10. I can't remember the last time I had a broken/slipped belt or sidewall damage which would necessitate a trip up to South Bend to utilize the roadhazard warranty.

GlennG2759
Year and Model: 2006 V70 NA
United States of America
GlennG2759

Post by GlennG2759 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 am

Abscate,Is that the Glenmont, west of Kingston on Rt. 28. Does he do alignments, I've just completed frontend.and am looking for good alignment shop, There are many Mavis/Sts shops by me, but I've had a bad experience with them. I'd buy tires there, but wouldn't let them work on any of my vehicles.

matthew1
Site Admin
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:18 am

Still no call from regional HQ...

Anyway, here are some Reality Alternatives™...

Inexpensive -- $10 patch and be done with it at Palma's Wheel and Tire in the link posted above. I stopped in there two weeks ago, before my Discount Tire visit, to see what they thought, but they were closed. Grr.

Super inexpensive -- $0 because I have a patch kit somewhere in the garage. I've never done it, only watched. Next time if Palmas isn't available, I'm doing this.

~ ~ ~

I don't know how much upside there is to the course I chose... "By the book". I suppose I keep some sort of tire warranty intact.

For those wondering where Tire Rack fits in here, they don't, because when I bought these Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires this summer, Discount Tire said they'd match TR's price. They didn't have to match it because the prices were a penny difference.

In the end, I'm out $58 for a tire I won't get a full life from - the other 3 will wear out before it unless I buy a fifth wheel and put it in rotation.

Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]