IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Low beam non working

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
tango_1000
Year and Model: c70 2007
Been thanked: 0
Argentina
tango_1000

Low beam non working

Post by tango_1000 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm

In my C70 2007 my low beam is not working, is the driver side. I did put new bulbs, and I change the ballast on the right side with the one from the left and it works, so ballast is ok. And bulbs too.
I found that there is fuses for the high beam in the under the glove compartment fuses box, but didn't find one for the low beam.
Is there is a fuse for this bulb??? Where is located???
Thank you

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Re: Low beam non working

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Interestingly the left and right ballasts have different part numbers. But that could just be a physical/fittment difference.

Try switching the lamp socket left to right and see what happens. After glancing at the P1 HID diagram, the other fuses showing in the chain, if they were out, would result in a long list of other obvious 'failures'. As you're not complaining that half the car is dead, they're probably fine. What I did chance to notice is that aftermarket ballasts for P1s are often bundled with a new HID lamp socket. Leading to a fair presumption that the lamp socket fails/looses internal continuity to the bulb 'often'. Think about it: after so many people ordered a new ballast when the problem was the lamp socket, these retailers learned to strictly bundle them together to limit the number of returns and bad feedback/reviews.

Fair chance I'm on to something. Try it.

tango_1000
Year and Model: c70 2007
Been thanked: 0
Argentina
tango_1000

Post by tango_1000 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks for the replays.
I think that maybe I didn't explain correctly. The system I have in the is "1307329076 Xenon HID Ballast Igniter". Im adding the pictures.
Again, what happened was that the left side one day stop working. Both left and right side take the same igniter. So I put the igniter from the right, the one was working, and I changed it with the one not working on the left. Still didnt work on the left. But the one that was on the left and didn't work there, it did work when I putted on the right.
So...there is no power getting to the left side low beam. All the rest work correctly on that left assembly.
I see that there is fuses for high beam, left and right. But I can't see fuses to this low beam HID bulbs...Do they have a fuse.
The glass on the assembly had a little crack and water penetrate, that would produce, I think, a small short that would be take it by a fuse.
Any help appreciate it.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:48 pm

07C70Bi-Xenon.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 pm

What I was referring to as the 'socket/plug' is what you pictured. That appears to be ok as you already tried switching those L-R.

The HID controllers (GDL MASTER, GDL SLAVE) are 'somewhat interchangeable' in that the controllers mounted into their plastic mounting bracket/vehicle wire harness connectors as a complete assembly are not interchangeable. However, the actual electronic controller (Metal box within) can be removed and installed/used in the plastic assemblies freely between left or right.

That controller (without the plastic mounting/harness)... Volvo used a 3rd party supplier for these, which was also used by a number of vehicle manufacturers. Look for part number 1307329098

Volvo will sell you the entire assembly (including the plastic mount/harness connectors) for over $400, Volvos part number is 31213765

Can try switching them L-R first just to make sure that's the problem.