IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

P2 V70 rear spoiler installation instructions with photos

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

850 LPT
Year and Model: 96' 850
United States of America
850 LPT

Volvo Repair Database P2 V70 rear spoiler installation instructions with photos

Post by 850 LPT » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 am

Hello all,

I recently installed a "wing" on my 05' V70 and since I had trouble finding good instructions online I thought I take some notes and share what I learned from doing this job.

There is a mounting kit available from Volvo for about $58 which includes all the hardware needed, plus the templates for drilling the holes from the outside. There are also holes to be drilled from the inside, but they are clearly marked.
Part number for the Kit: 30664143

Unfortunately, the instructions that come with this kit are a bit confusing and in parts even incorrect. More on that later.
Also, the screws supplied with this kit are the wrong length. Volvo's one size fits all does not work in this case, but again, I will explain at the appropriate step in the process.
This is the spoiler I installed, a good used OEM volvo part off ebay, even in the correct color for my car:
DSC_0010.JPG
Tools needed:

- 1/8" drill bit
- 3/8" drill bit
- 5/8" hole saw
- 10mm wrench of some kind, anything will work
- power drill (I use a cordless drill for almost everything I do)
- torx 25 driver

I found that the 5/8" hole saws are hard to find in stores. After wasting some time looking at the local hardware store, Home Depot and Lowes, I resorted to using a wood drill. This was VERY tricky and I would strongly advise against doing that.
After the fact I found them on Amazon for around $10. Do yourself a favor and order one.

First step is removing the tailgate panel and window surround trim, which is easy. The panel is held in place with four (4) t25 screws. Remove those and then pop the panel off.
Once that's off you can pop off the window trim. It slides down and out.

Next step is to apply the templates to the car and securing them with some tape. I then highlighted the hole locations with a marker, otherwise they are kind of hard to see.
spoiler-installation-apply-templates.jpg
Next step is pre- drilling the mounting holes with a 1/8" drill bit.
There are two (2) layers of material, so I will call the outside layer "top" and the inside layer "bottom". The following image shows the design of the tailgate with the layers:
spoiler-installation-layers.jpg
Drill top holes in the locations shown above, then remove templates.
I am showing only the driver side, but the passenger side is the same.

Bottom holes. Note that these are marked already from the factory. I would advise against drilling the center hole. This is the hole location for the harness pass through, but it is in the wrong place. The instructions give dimensions for this to be drilled from the top, but they are also incorrect. Found out the hard way.
DSC_0005.JPG
Next step is drilling the 3/8" holes from the bottom.
DSC_0009.JPG
Now it's time to open up the hole close to the edge of the tailgate with the 5/8" hole saw. This is what the end result should look like:
DSC_0007.JPG
The last hole to drill is the pass through for the brake light harness. As mentioned earlier, none of the instructions from Volvo worked for this. I went with the pre- marked location and ended up with a much too large hole, because it wouldn't match the opening in the double sided tape pads.
What I would do next time is to transfer the holes from the pads by laying them on the outside of the tailgate after lining them up with the mounting holes. I don't have a photo for this, but maybe this image helps:
Spoiler Gasket.JPG
Next is drilling the hole for the pass through. Use the 1/8" bit to pre- drill. Then drill with the 3/8" bit all the way through. This hole could also be a little smaller, it's just the cable going through there.

Now its time to prep the spoiler for installation. The connector needs to be undone, and the pins need to be pulled out. It should look like this:
DSC_0011.JPG
After that, you can apply the double sided tape pads. Sorry, I don't have a photo for this.
Now comes the big moment. Line up the spoiler with the holes and stick it on. As this is done, the brake light harness needs to be fed through the clearance hole.
After that the hardware can be installed. Like I said earlier, the provided hardware did not work out for this, see the following photo for the correct sizes. You will want to be careful here and not overtighten.
DSC_0012.JPG
Next is feeding the harness through the grommet and into the upper tailgate area. There is a little nipple right next to the hinge that needs to be cut off. Sorry, I didn't take a photo of that, but it's pretty obvious.
DSC_0013.JPG
The last step is to re- install the connector on the harness and to plug it back in. I used some cable ties to make it look neat again.
Also, I choose to remove the old brake light. You don't have to do this, but if you want to, there is a little pin in the center that has to be removed and then it can be slid sideways and out.
The kit comes with a black decal to cover up the old brake light. Mine was all crumpled and therefore I did not install it. Honestly, this doesn't bother me. You can't really see it anyway behind the spoiler.
DSC_0003.JPG
And here is the finished result:
DSC_0017.JPG
I hope this helps someone who is thinking of installing one of these.

If you have done this and have suggestions for improvements, please post them here.

Dirk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

96' 850 sedan, base, auto, pewter/charcoal, 111k miles
99' S70, base, 5-speed manual, nautic blue/ tan, 213k miles
04' V70, auto, ash gold/ tan, 225k miles, daughters car
05' V70, 5-speed manual, loaded, mistral green/ tan, 146k miles
79' Ford Capri S, Euro Spec 2.8 V6, T9 5-speed manual
58' Porsche Diesel Junior
13' Honda Odyssey :oops:

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: P2 V70 rear spoiler installation instructions with photos

Post by oragex » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:00 am

Useful. I think the one on the V70 looks much better. The S60 also had a tiny one on the S60R

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: P2 V70 rear spoiler installation instructions with photos

Post by abscate » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:43 am

I hate people who can put their car(s) in their garage

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread