IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Modern look S60 LED Tail lights upgrade

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Supergrunged
Year and Model: 2005 S60R
United States of America
Supergrunged

Modern look S60 LED Tail lights upgrade

Post by Supergrunged » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:53 am

Copied and pasting my original write up, cause this question gets asked a lot. Some edits as well, but here's the LED Tail Lights I did. Been on the car year and a half now:

To start off, I am not liable for any damage you do to your own lights trying to do this yourself.
As promised, here's least what I did to make LED lights, something cool anyways...... The grey wire on the harness is your positive, and the yellow is your negative, least on my 05 R. I am currently still trying to figure out the resister, as the bulbs tested at 1.5ohms. So this is still in progress. I also have to redo the passenger side to match now.
So, to start, I removed the 4 10mm nuts, and removed the rear light.
I took a heat gun, and cracked open the sucker! In later revisions, I used a heat knife. This takes a lot or patience, and you may risk cracking parts of the plastic. There are other ways to open the tail lights as needed.
FYI. I never care, and just do what I like, my car isn't perfect, and never will be. But crack the sucker, throw in some 30mm LED strips, drill it out for the wires, and glue back the edges. Again, I used super glue, where guaranteed some troll is gonna say I'm wrong, but this is what I did. Will use silicone later to fix the cracks, o well. Slap on, wire in, and enjoy! You will get a CANBUS message, but I am in the process of figuring out how to fix this. I am wiring these off my "Position lights", as I removed the bulbs.
Finally tackled the CANBUS errors at a later date with a decent Resistor that actually works from Morimoto.

LEDs used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G6 ... UTF8&psc=1

Load resistor used
http://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-hd- ... stors.html
Taillights1.jpg
Taillights2.jpg
Taillights3.jpg
Taillights4.jpg
Taillights5.jpg
Taillights6.jpg
Taillights7.jpg
Taillights8.jpg
Taillights9.jpg
Taillights10.jpg
Taillights11.jpg
Taillights12.jpg
Taillights13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Supergrunged for the post:
matthew1

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: Modern look S60 LED Tail lights upgrade

Post by Rattnalle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:43 am

Very nice!

Mountainman45
Year and Model: 01 V70XC
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Mountainman45

Post by Mountainman45 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Will this work on headlights as I'm DYING to do this to my V70XC

Supergrunged
Year and Model: 2005 S60R
United States of America
Supergrunged

Post by Supergrunged » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:10 am

Mountainman45 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:09 pm
Will this work on headlights as I'm DYING to do this to my V70XC
I have done my headlights in a similar fashion. It's an R, and I did not feel like cracking open the headlights. I mounted an LED strip below the headlights to get an interesting effect, and they also turn to sweeping amber with my blinkers. I had to cut the position lights, and blinkers, as it's 3 wires going to them, figure out what one was what, then resolder and heatshrink them with this in line, as the wire for the LED strip was too small for a splice connector.

I used these for the effect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJ ... UTF8&psc=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Supergrunged for the post:
Mountainman45

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Hum ... that reminds me I been wanting to this the rear reflectors on my XC90.
I Better head to the PnP and get a pair before they are gone.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am

For the resistor you have to determine the operating current- incandescent bulbs show a very low resistance to an ohmmeter. As current is applied and the filament heats up to produce light, the resistance in the filament rises until an equilibrium is reached between temperature and current.

If they maintained 1.5 ohms during ~14v operation, that would result in a current draw approaching 10 amps/ 130 watts per bulb!

I don't recall what the operating wattage for those bulbs are, look it up, careful to use VOLVO OE bulb specs. Use ohms law to 'reverse engineer' based on the bulb wattage (either 2 or 4 bulbs in parallel, I'm not sure if the position lamps are monitored on these in L/R pairs or all four bulbs on one circuit/monitor. You need to figure out what the total current draw of the bulbs would be, then subtract the current draw for your LEDs and calculate what size resistor would result that same current draw at 14v.