IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

High beam dilemma

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Ducatiguy
Year and Model: 2004 XC70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Ducatiguy

High beam dilemma

Post by Ducatiguy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:23 pm

2004 xc70. High beams do not work. I believe the switch is fine. When i switch them on the low beams rise up, the blue dash light lights up, the fuses under the hood show power on both sides when switch is on, none when off, the fuse on the side of the dash shows power on both sides.

Just replaced what i believe is the relay (4th from the top on the board that is under the dash to the left of the brake pedal) Both bulbs look good and there is NO power at the bulb socket. I take the socket off the bulb, put the highs on and use a test light which shows no juice at either of the connections in the socket.

This is very confusing.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Re: High beam dilemma

Post by - Pete - » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:30 pm

HID self leveling or incandescent standard housings?

2001 V70XC 142k
2004 V70 AWD 134k
2004 V70R M66 142k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

Ducatiguy
United States of America
Ducatiguy

Post by Ducatiguy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Self leveling. Which btw is not working. The bracket on the rear suspension has broken free. it is just hanging there. the rivet that holds to to the frame broke. i cannot reach in there well enough with the car on the ground to put a screw in to remount the bracket. going to have my local shop put it on a lift and secure the bracket properly.

If the self leveling is not working does that knock out the high beams?

NullenVoyd
United States of America
NullenVoyd

Post by NullenVoyd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Do your lights look like the attached picture?
I believe these are what my original 04 XC70 came with, but previous owner did a hack job to replace them with normal halogen assemblies and bulbs.

Pretty sure there is no hi/low - it's just the single HID that is adjusted up to have them shine higher, when the 'high beams' are engaged. The only other light there would be the Daytime Running Lights, which would engage under conditions I have no clue about, maybe when light switch is turned all the way counter-clockwise?

But yea, if that leveling sensor isn't working right, I think that throws off that entire system, which is why some folks ditch it.
Voov_Adj_HID.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author NullenVoyd for the post (total 2):
DucatiguySupergrunged

Ducatiguy
United States of America
Ducatiguy

Post by Ducatiguy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Interesting thought. Just tried the lights with the dial switch in all three positions. Nothing. But I have looked at the bulbs. They seem to be way too serious a bulb to be a DRL. Also there are several fuses marked High Beam that are functional. Have no power with high beams off but have power with high beams on. So I think those inner bulbs actually are high beams. Could be wrong though so I continue to welcome suggestion.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 pm

In Europe at least the inner bulb is a halogen high beam bulb and the hid is on as drl. a much better solution than pictured since you get a very decent high beam output.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 04 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 pm

I’m pretty sure, other than internal color, your housings & the R housings are almost identical. That being said, the innermost (closest to midline) bulb is used as a (halogen) daytime running light (DRL) stateside. This can be programmed to remain off at all times/switch positions. My V70R is this way & fogs remain on with both dim/bright headlight (not standard, programmed that way).

I have a moisture problem in my one housing & so have been fiddling with it the last week or so since getting a high psi "touch-less" carwash. Seems it left a "touch" of H20 in my headlight housing... Won’t be doing that again. Anyhow, with fuse 18 pulled, drivers side low, nor high works, and neither does the bright “tip up” function.

I’d fiddle around with that level sensor you said was rotted out & see if anything comes to life. I spray the various joints on mine with fluid film every so often. There’s no obvious fuse labeling suggesting any of them are responsible for the auto leveling.

2001 V70XC 142k
2004 V70 AWD 134k
2004 V70R M66 142k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 155k Sold

Supergrunged
Year and Model: 2005 S60R
United States of America
Supergrunged

Post by Supergrunged » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:17 am

The HIDs self leveling basically "raise" for the high beams. That being said, are your low beams on? You're saying you're not getting power to them, where in that housing, there are 2 separate bulbs. One is for the "DRL" which is the most center beams on the car. This does not get power when your lights are on. They will only be on with the light switch on position 0 if your car has been programmed as so. I've seen many that it's only the HIDs are on. To change this, it would be in VIDA.
That being said, yes, if your self leveling is off, you might want to get that fixed, and do a SUM calibration through VIDA to calibrate the self leveling of the headlights as well. Make sure the light switch is in the II position, or lights on when doing so, or else more will get screwed up.