IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Motive Bleeder How High Is Too High? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Motive Bleeder How High Is Too High?

Post by wanderdüne » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 pm

Looks like I may have run low on fluid when bleeding my brakes after a pads and hoses replacement. I didn't read up on it; looks like I should have had the brake pedal depressed. Hate when that happens. VIDA says if the system is run dry, to power bleed at 29-43psi. Seems pretty high; is this ok? It will max out the Motive at 30psi/

*edit: I am asking if this pressure is ok to run through the ABS and hydraulic system; not the bleeder.

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
cn90

Re: Motive Bleeder How High Is Too High?

Post by cn90 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:16 am

The ABS module can handle high pressure.
The problem is the reservoir, above 20 psi you risk blowing it up. Search bmw forum for this.

I use my ATE cap + air compressor + 10 psi for bleeding.
These users thanked the author cn90 for the post:
wanderdüne

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:15 am

You think air got inside the master ? There is a video on Youtube with a trick - basically the guy puts a hose on each caliper bleeder, and brings the end of the hose above the master, so in theory the air bubbles will be forced to travel to the caliper and into the hose. I did the same but only at the right front caliper - and it seems this has purged the air from the master - only my impression ,can't say for sure

As for the Motive Bleeder, I too bleed at 10psi or so and it's just fine, no need to put pressure like on a tire. I don't remember reading about having to keep the brake pedal depressed ?

wanderdüne
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:32 am

oragex wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:15 am
You think air got inside the master ? There is a video on Youtube with a trick - basically the guy puts a hose on each caliper bleeder, and brings the end of the hose above the master, so in theory the air bubbles will be forced to travel to the caliper and into the hose. I did the same but only at the right front caliper - and it seems this has purged the air from the master - only my impression ,can't say for sure

As for the Motive Bleeder, I too bleed at 10psi or so and it's just fine, no need to put pressure like on a tire. I don't remember reading about having to keep the brake pedal depressed ?
I think I may have gotten air in the ABS. The trick makes sense; I've seen the reverse bleeding that some do, kind of the same concept.

wanderdüne
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: Motive Bleeder How High Is Too High?  Topic is solved

Post by wanderdüne » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:10 pm

I bled the brakes once more @25psi and got a couple of bubbles through the LF caliper. Still a little soft afterwards. I went out and pulled 4 aggressive stops from 35-40mph to try to activate the ABS and now the brakes operate normally.