IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2008 3.2 AWD replacing Power Steering Pump. Need Advise. Pls Check Video.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Turbo_Boss
Year and Model: 2008 XC90 3.2AWD
Been thanked: 0
Panama
Turbo_Boss

2008 3.2 AWD replacing Power Steering Pump. Need Advise. Pls Check Video.

Post by Turbo_Boss » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:22 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 with 3.2 engine with 89,000 KMS

Yesterday just at half mile from my home the steering got super heavier and there was a screaming wheezing sound. I immediately turn off the AC. I drive slowly to my house.

Thank GOD this happened late at night and there was no traffic so I will say I drive this way less than 10 minutes and only when I steer was the screaming noise.

So today I check under the hood. Open the power steering fluid reservoir and it full. Start the engine and its look like the power steering pump pulley lock/stuck itself momentary when it has to make force to steer.

So I am pretty sure the power steering pump is FUBAR. I will order an aftermarket one.

Also I see the serpentine belt got some damage because of the friction with the power steering pulley problem. I also can see in some places rubber parts of the belt so its look like I also will need to order the belt too. I will order a Continental Contitech Brand.

BTW, I will also order the O Ring kit to repair the Power Brake Booster Vacuum Pump since is leaking oil.

I have wrenched my cars before and could use a hand. Please check the video and I will really appreciated your comments or any advice on other parts you advise me to order.

Thx for your help and time

Isaac

2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2008 TOYOTA Prado 2.7L 4x4
2009 VW Jetta 2.0

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 2008 3.2 AWD replacing Power Steering Pump. Need Advise. Pls Check Video.

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm

The power steering pump drives the water pump. You first loosen the belt by pushing down on belt tensioner and then inserting a 3 mm hex key or similar diameter pin or drill bit into the hole on tensioner to hold it in released position. When you remove the power steering pump from bracket (no need to disconnect any lines or lose any fluid) you will see the water pump is turned by two plastic lugs and a damper spring. There are two TX 25 screws holing the drive for water pump to the power steering pulley. Once power steering pump is moved to the side you can check the water pump. I think I am hearing a water pump locking up and the broken water pump drive spring is slipping and grabbing and then belt slips. When belt slips the power steering is lost but when it i turning the steering works nornally.

Turbo_Boss
Panama
Turbo_Boss

Post by Turbo_Boss » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:20 pm

jimmy57 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm
The power steering pump drives the water pump. You first loosen the belt by pushing down on belt tensioner and then inserting a 3 mm hex key or similar diameter pin or drill bit into the hole on tensioner to hold it in released position. When you remove the power steering pump from bracket (no need to disconnect any lines or lose any fluid) you will see the water pump is turned by two plastic lugs and a damper spring. There are two TX 25 screws holing the drive for water pump to the power steering pulley. Once power steering pump is moved to the side you can check the water pump. I think I am hearing a water pump locking up and the broken water pump drive spring is slipping and grabbing and then belt slips. When belt slips the power steering is lost but when it i turning the steering works normally.
Hey Jimmy 57,

You think my problem is the water pump and not the steering pump? I am not loosing coolant and engine temperature is OK.

When I was filming the video, there was a person moving the steering when I say, so I can film the pulley lock/stuck itself momentary.

Rgs

Isaac

2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2009 VW Jetta 2.0

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am

Have you looked at the water pump for leaks ? The water pump goes bad on the 3.2 pretty early - perhaps that's why jimmy is talking about it. From my screen, it does seem indeed that the steering pump pulley is 'stopping' causing the belt to squeal. But anyway, you'll remove the belt and turn all pulleys by hand to feel which one is bad. Not sure what fluid your rack is using, on the S60 V70 we use only the green Pentosin, yours looks like some amber stuff so maybe see if you also have the right fluid because the wrong one can damage the pump vanes. By the way, it's pretty urgent to fix the issue, a seized pulley will take down the engine

Turbo_Boss
Panama
Turbo_Boss

Post by Turbo_Boss » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am

oragex wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am
Have you looked at the water pump for leaks ? The water pump goes bad on the 3.2 pretty early - perhaps that's why jimmy is talking about it. From my screen, it does seem indeed that the steering pump pulley is 'stopping' causing the belt to squeal. But anyway, you'll remove the belt and turn all pulleys by hand to feel which one is bad. Not sure what fluid your rack is using, on the S60 V70 we use only the green Pentosin, yours looks like some amber stuff so maybe see if you also have the right fluid because the wrong one can damage the pump vanes. By the way, it's pretty urgent to fix the issue, a seized pulley will take down the engine
Hey Oragex,

I don't have any leaks. Right now it's impossible to use the car. That thing is screaming noises and the steering is very hard...... Also the serpentine belt is throwing parts of the belt like is disintegrating.

I can leave the car in the garage without using it since my wife have its own car and I go to work in a van that pick me up every day so I can take my time to fix it.

Here the Volvo Stealer charge a arm, leg and kidney for the spare parts and always they don't have the parts in stock.

I live in Central America so I always order all the spare parts from USA and they take a while to get to my country. So I need to be 100% sure what parts to order. So what's the best way to check what part its making the problem? Cut the belt and turn by hand all the pulleys?

Thx & Rgs

Isaac

2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2009 VW Jetta 2.0

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am

I am not working on the car so I am not sure but I have had water pumps stop the power steering pump. The pump is much harder to turn when the steering is being moved. If the water pump is almost making belt slip or if there is a problem with tensioner not keeping belt tight then the pump would slip when you steer. I have seen the front seal leak on these pumps but I have not seen one fail and make steering jerky and hard. First step is to remove the belt and inspect. The other thing I have seen is the drive pulley slip either due to the one way clutch failing inside the pulley or the pulley sipping on the shaft. If you have someone steer it while you watch that small pulley below a/c compressor you might see that pulley stopping. That would mean the problem is there and all the other things are OK.

pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2
United States of America
pgill

Post by pgill » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Take a look at this link

https://www.freel2.com/forum/post366439.html#366439

Thanks

Paul
These users thanked the author pgill for the post:
Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss
Panama
Turbo_Boss

Post by Turbo_Boss » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:39 pm

jimmy57 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am
The other thing I have seen is the drive pulley slip either due to the one way clutch failing inside the pulley or the pulley sipping on the shaft. If you have someone steer it while you watch that small pulley below a/c compressor you might see that pulley stopping. That would mean the problem is there and all the other things are OK.
Hey Jimmy57

I will check that one way clutch pulley and report back.......

Thx for your time and help

Isaac

2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2009 VW Jetta 2.0

pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2
United States of America
pgill

Post by pgill » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 pm

These users thanked the author pgill for the post:
Turbo_Boss

Turbo_Boss
Panama
Turbo_Boss

Post by Turbo_Boss » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:21 pm

pgill wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Take a look at this link

https://www.freel2.com/forum/post366439.html#366439

Thanks

Paul
Hey Paul, thanks so much for the links. It has tons of info.

I will keep you guys updated

Thx & Rgs

Isaac

2008 VOLVO XC90 3.2L AWD
2009 VW Jetta 2.0