IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Vovlo S80 Engine/Cam Issues

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
theattackman
Year and Model: 2005 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
theattackman

Vovlo S80 Engine/Cam Issues

Post by theattackman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Background:
2005 Vovlo S80 2.5T
Was driving on Wednesday and noticed that as I tried to accelerate, my engine was not responsive. This was generally when accelerating from a stop or speeding up to get on a freeway. Thought nothing of it until Friday morning when my check engine light came on going into work. Friday after work as I attempted to start my car, the starter rolled over and it struggled to start. After giving it some gas I got it to come on, and the engine seemed to take its time coming up from low RPM. I couldn't find a shop open in time and went to take it in Monday, by that time I could not get it to start and had to get it towed to the shop.

Diagnosis:
Fault codes: p0014, p0010
The mechanics found exhaust cam is lose timing is off
(This same shop just replaced the timing belt with OEM parts about 20k miles ago)
They rechecked the timing belt and troubleshot it down to the engine.
Compressions were low around 60 PSI and they checked 5+cylinders (I think they said all were low which doesnt seem right)
Did a wet test and still low pressure
They believe I need a new engine

Options:
I bought this car for $5000 three years ago and have put about $2500 into Mx and upkeep. This mechanic will replace my engine with a used one that has 50k miles for 2800 with labor included.

Or.. considering selling the car for scrap ~$250 and cutting losses.

Would appreciate some advice, thank you for your time

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Vovlo S80 Engine/Cam Issues

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am

Just some ideas - your codes usually point to a bad VVT Solenoid(s). The loose exhaust cam points to a bad VVT hub on the exhaust side. If the VVT hub is not doing its job and is wobbly it could throw the codes you list. Do you have an oil leak from the exhaust cam?

Compression issues. How many miles on the car? How many miles have you put on it? What is the condition of the motor oil and how have you been maintaining it? Has any metal been found in the oil? How is the PCV system?

The 2.5T is a very robust engine. It seems odd that all of a sudden you would have a catastrophic failure and the engine would go bad.

I would focus on the VVT hub, oil change and PCV system. VVT hubs are not cheap, you could source a used one from Erie or put in a new one.

theattackman
Year and Model: 2005 S80
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
theattackman

Post by theattackman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am

SuperHerman wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:56 am
Just some ideas - your codes usually point to a bad VVT Solenoid(s). The loose exhaust cam points to a bad VVT hub on the exhaust side. If the VVT hub is not doing its job and is wobbly it could throw the codes you list. Do you have an oil leak from the exhaust cam?

Compression issues. How many miles on the car? How many miles have you put on it? What is the condition of the motor oil and how have you been maintaining it? Has any metal been found in the oil? How is the PCV system?

The 2.5T is a very robust engine. It seems odd that all of a sudden you would have a catastrophic failure and the engine would go bad.

I would focus on the VVT hub, oil change and PCV system. VVT hubs are not cheap, you could source a used one from Erie or put in a new one.
From my mechanic:
Exhaust VVT hub been changed due to the wobbly on the hub. Oil is good. Your VVT don't have anything to do with the compression since compression is checked with engine not running. VVT comes in play when engine is running with oil pressure. With good timing, compression, air, fuel, and spark the engine will start without the VVT system. VVT system failure usually lead to lack of power or engine shaking. VVT system don't have anything to do with start up unless the VVT hub is defective and that have nothing to do with the VVT being active since it's controlled by oil pressure. Without the engine running low or no oil pressure is in the system to activate the VVT system.

Kelly Blue Book value for this car is $3500, is it worth spending $3000 for a rebuilt engine?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 pm

The Attack Man - I asked you a number of questions which would be helpful in trying to figure out your problem.

I don't disagree with much of what your mechanic stated. I am confused though. The VVT hub was changed before the code? What is the story of the loose exhaust cam? Was that resolved with the VVT hub? Things don't make sense here.

On to your low compression. If your engine is sludged up and the piston rings are sticking you WILL have low compression. This condition is related to the PCV system and to dirty oil and a poor service history. Dirty oil and sludge is also related to the VVT solenoid as it relates to low oil pressure.

In that sense your mechanic is correct, but he fails to consider sticking piston rings or valve issues. If you have metal in the oil that will point to a new engine. No metal then either sticky rings or your valves are carboned up and not sealing (or it could just be too old - but people have gotten 500k on these engines).

Without knowing the mileage and service history - assuming no traces of metal - the description points to sludge buildup on the cams/head/valves and/or sticking piston rings.

Have you done a leak down test? This test pushes air into the spark plug hole. When the valves are closed and fully functional the compression will hold and slowly leak down. When the valves are an issue one will hear either or both the exhaust and/or intake hissing as the air sneaks by. A compression test has no way to differentiate between rings and valves - that is what the leak down test helps determine.

When I did the 2.4T on my old XC70, around 180-190k, I forget, the car ran great but on loan to a friend he overheated it due to a hose leak. When I pulled the head my cams were furry - clean on cylinders 1 and 2 and then progressively worse on 3-5. Cylinder 5 was the worst, and I would most likely have seen issues soon. I bought the car with 142k with a full Volvo service history - so the car was maintained. Point is the valves (sludge) or sticking piston rings could be the cause of the issue.

With the PCV system in order, and fresh clean oil, one can try running added solvents in the oil to try to clean up the rings and valves. It could take 10k miles, but it has worked for many Toyota owners (including my brother).

Your car's value reflects the problem you have - so spending $3k on a car you like is not a bad option if you get the TB ... done at the same time. You will not find a car well sorted out for $3k.