IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

How to safely remove vacuum pump quick connect?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

rjj100
Year and Model: 2007 S60 2.5T
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rjj100

How to safely remove vacuum pump quick connect?

Post by rjj100 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 pm

I decided to replace my down under vacuum pump and up top vacuum operated electrical switch. I know how to replace the electrical switch.

But on the vacuum pump, I don’t want to break the vacuum connector. ( I can unplug the electrical connection.)

How does one safely remove the vacuum hose to the vacuum pump on a 2007 Volvo S60? I see it has a green clip inside the hose connector to the pump. Just pull hard?

A explanatory picture would be helpful if you have one.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: How to safely remove vacuum pump quick connect?

Post by oragex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:47 am

The clip has two green 'squares' on opposite sides of the hose so one of these is not visible from above - you need to depress both squares at once with your finger tips then pull. No need to depress with a lot of force, and no need to pull too strong, as long as the clip is depressed on both sides, it will come out easily. It's about the same idea as the clip on the transmission cooling pipe at the radiator. Actually, the hoses on the pump switch are much harder to remove without damaging the switch. Careful with the two pump securing bolts - these have rubber bushings on them easily to loose - no need to fully remove the nut, just turn it a few times then the pump slides off the bracket with the two bolts still assembled

rjj100
United States of America
rjj100

Post by rjj100 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:22 am

Thank you Oragex. I will try what you have suggested for the vacuum hose on the pump.

The pump rubber bushings bolt passes thru the metal bracket, so the bolt and bushings cannot be removed unless the nut is first removed. Please confirm you are saying in effect, “the rubber bushings and bolt remain attached to the bracket, and the pump arms slip out of the rubber bushings after the nut is loosened.”

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:30 am

From my memory, I thought there was an opening in the bracket to slide the bolts. If not, the idea is perhaps to undo one bolt at a time, then put the washers-bushings in order so as to install them back the same - these bolts sit on some rubber dampers to keep the pump quiet, otherwise the pump will make a buzzing noise. Also easy to drop and loose those nuts - good not to rush

rjj100
United States of America
rjj100

Post by rjj100 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Thanks. I will undue one bolt and loosen the other, then slide the pump toward the one side that I have removed the bolt/bushing. I will try not to lose any bushings, washer, bolt, nut.