IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

intermittent right front vibration

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

firstv70volvo
Year and Model: V70 T5 2001
United States of America
firstv70volvo

Re: intermittent right front vibration

Post by firstv70volvo » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 am

If the vibration is due to a front axle it's been my experience you'll know it's the axle by the difference in vibration depending on throttle load and Chris had asked this question. It's also been my experience it's caused by the inner tripod joint and you can't tell if it's bad from the amount of play you can feel in the joint. It's also hard tell if it's coming from the left, right or both axles. The vibration under load is caused by small pitting in the inner joint cup and as the tripod bearings slide on the surface with the pitting it will pull the axle side to side so the vibration is more of a shudder. The vibration will be dependent on the throttle load and even the angle of the axle relative to the inner joint. Vibration will be worse under more load and at certain speeds and you should feel a difference when easing off the throttle when the vibration is occurring; if it's the axle inner joint(s) causing the problem. Clicking noises are typically associated with the outer CV joint going bad, vibration would be the inner joint.

azureblue
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:03 am

Much thanks. From your description and the clicking noises I hear when I rotate the wheel it almost has to be the inner tripod joint. I have bad hearing but I can hear that the sound isn't coming from the wheel area - bearing or CV joint. So by process of elimination ----.

Now to order one...
2001 V70 T5, 180K. My seventh Volvo.

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Yep, an easy job to R&R the original. Direct drop in, and the only hang up was getting the center bearing to line up. Fiddly little task. And the problems went away with the new part. Much thanks to all who offered advice.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:06 am

Excellent. I also had some play in the CV joints, since I buy used ones, even the slightest play can cause these annoying vibrations. Worth mentioning, the left drive shaft (shorter one) can sometimes be completely stuck inside the transmission and impossible to remove (even main dealers may not manage to). Aftermarket ones may come with a locking circlip inside the transmission larger than standard, once forced in it cannot be pulled out again. I really like to grease this clip for this reason. The right shaft - longer with carrier bearing doesn't have this circlip and it's easier to remove but annoying to replace anyway because of it's length - worth having a helper

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:18 am

much thanks and thanks for the heads up on the driver's side shaft - I plan to tackle that one this week end....

weste46
Year and Model: 2004 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
weste46

Post by weste46 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:16 am

azureblue wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:18 am
much thanks and thanks for the heads up on the driver's side shaft - I plan to tackle that one this week end....
Any update on this vibration? I have a similar vibration from my front left, trying to decide what to do first. I may buy a used axle to test. If I was sure that was the cause I would buy new, but I have no clicking/popping when turning, and the vibration does not worsen due to acceleration.

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:06 am

Sorry - yes, replacing the passenger (right) side ended the vibration. The rubber boots were split and there was some slack in the U joint. I believe that was where the vibration was coming from. It was an easy job, but follow the youtube instructions for removal exactly.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 am

I also went with used axles. For the 5 speed auto transmissions, all axles should be the same on Front wheel drive S60 V70, but I'm under the impression the XC70 with the AWD will have different axles, at least the long right one. I had to try 2-3 axles on each side before finding a good used one, my lesson is really wait to find one with zero play in both CV joints - no rotational play in either CV joints, no axial play in the CV joint near the wheel, no lateral play in the CV joint at the transmission (careful because some transmissions have play at their carrier bearing in side the transmission). But there's more to check when getting a used axle. Some are cheap chinese make (usually with thin flilmsly clamps), others have had the outer boot replaced the wrong way - when this boot is replaced, the CV joint is split open and a clip is being punched out - if this clip was not replaced with a new one, the axle will have vibrations. So it's really a hit and miss with the used axles, one needs to be able to bring them back at the junkyard if needed. I would not recommend buying them used off Ebay. Speaking of vibrations, it's worth checking the wheel balance at different shops. Not all shops balance properly the wheels, especially if the tire or wheel are older. Finally, vibrations under acceleration and/or going uphill can be also caused by worn control arms bushings.

weste46
Year and Model: 2004 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
weste46

Post by weste46 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:37 am

oragex wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 am
I also went with used axles. For the 5 speed auto transmissions, all axles should be the same on Front wheel drive S60 V70, but I'm under the impression the XC70 with the AWD will have different axles, at least the long right one. I had to try 2-3 axles on each side before finding a good used one, my lesson is really wait to find one with zero play in both CV joints - no rotational play in either CV joints, no axial play in the CV joint near the wheel, no lateral play in the CV joint at the transmission (careful because some transmissions have play at their carrier bearing in side the transmission). But there's more to check when getting a used axle. Some are cheap chinese make (usually with thin flilmsly clamps), others have had the outer boot replaced the wrong way - when this boot is replaced, the CV joint is split open and a clip is being punched out - if this clip was not replaced with a new one, the axle will have vibrations. So it's really a hit and miss with the used axles, one needs to be able to bring them back at the junkyard if needed. I would not recommend buying them used off Ebay. Speaking of vibrations, it's worth checking the wheel balance at different shops. Not all shops balance properly the wheels, especially if the tire or wheel are older. Finally, vibrations under acceleration and/or going uphill can be also caused by worn control arms bushings.
I guess I really should just buy a new joint if it's going to take that much to find a good one. I do have play in the transmission carrier on the driver's side, indeed. I couldn't feel any play in my axle, but that doesn't mean it's not there. The steering wheel doesn't shake so I don't expect it to be a wheel balancing issue, but I will rotate that wheel to the back to be sure.

I'm glad the PO found his issue.

azureblue
United States of America
azureblue

Post by azureblue » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:09 am

It is worth it to get a new one - I got mine from O'reilly and it was almost the same price as rockauto. $150 for passenger / $100 for driver side