IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Towing My XC90 Auto

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
mayfair
Year and Model: xc90 2006
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain
mayfair

Towing My XC90 Auto

Post by mayfair » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:52 pm

hello

i have a 2006 xc90 automatic 4x4

the auto box has failed ,i need to get to the garage which is 1 mile from where it
is ,can i tow it in neutral without damaging anything ?

have looked on google but cant seem to find a definitive answer

i was going to tow it with a tow rope at say 5 mph

can any one advise if its possible ,the autobox has lost all fluid due to the casing taking a hit so cant damage box

many thanks if can advise me alan :|

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: TOWING MY XC90 AUTO

Post by RickHaleParker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:34 am

From the 2006 XC90 Owners manual. Pages 101 & 102.
2019-12-13.png
2019-12-13 (1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:02 am

In this case, the transmission is already bad so keeping it in N with the engine running (to have brakes and steering) shouldn't make any further damage. However on a good tranmission, I would never have it towed in N with the engine running for long distances. I think the automatic transmissions may not have enough oil pressure in N, which may cause bearing damage. Also found this site http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... er-vehicle

mayfair
Great Britain
mayfair

Post by mayfair » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:11 am

hello

many thanks for reply - i managed to get a friend to borrow a large mercedes recovery truck off his friend
to avoid any damage .....THEN it went a little downhill ....the truck had a drop down one piece huge ramp
he promptly reversed into one of his sales cars ,a mazda mx5 without realising what he had done totaled the side of the mazda
flattening the wing up against the inner wing, and the door crushed ...THEN not realising he had done that fulled forward
and started reversing back towards the volvo managed to miss the volvo BUT headed straight towards the back of my new
mercedes Sl , screaming at him to stop he managed to wipe out the rear light (£290) and cracked the rear bumper before coming to a stop
I was so pleased he didnt crush the rear wing and boot lid etc i wasnt bothered about the damaged to my car ,just the damage to my ribs
due to creasing up at the comedy show of it all - the last time he did something like that it was a custom built catering truck ,he drove into his unit with the serving hatch up and ripped it off ,then did the exact same thing a week later but that time wrecking the sheeting on the wall of the unit .

so anyway its in the shop now getting the auto box fitted - which is nice ,but NEVER lend bri your car :)

thanks for taking the time to post the manual up

all the best al durham uk

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Towing My XC90 Auto

Post by jimmy57 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Next time: a one mile flat tow at 40 mph or less is VERY unlikely to harm the auto trans in neutral. The residual lubrication will cover it that long. If the trans holds fluid and engine can run then it is no problem as the trans oil pump will circulate fluid to keep things lubed.

mayfair
Great Britain
mayfair

Post by mayfair » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:01 am

hi jimmy57

i hope there will not be a next time !
but always worth knowing just in case - thanks for reply .

automatics are great when they are good ,but when they are not they can be a nightmare.

if anyone found the account of the tow truck farce above amusing ,let me know and i will post the story behind why it
needed a gearbox - that involves a pair of ace mechanics , a new engine and broken windscreen !

al

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:28 am

mayfair wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:01 am
if anyone found the account of the tow truck farce above amusing ,let me know and i will post the story behind why it
needed a gearbox - that involves a pair of ace mechanics , a new engine and broken windscreen
There is no rule here against clean entertainment and most of us like being entertained.
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

mayfair
Great Britain
mayfair

Post by mayfair » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:06 am

ok then here we go........

going back to the begining i bought the xc diesel needing i was told just a cyl head £800 it was very clean with leather etc "result"
got it back and engine was scrap. no problem bought an engine off motorhog with all ancilarys £1200 as it was the later one.
it turned up like new absolutely delighted .then i was recommended to two ace mechanics who are mobile .---great .

they took the old one out and mated the auto box to it ,so far so good

then the proper u shaped hydraulic engine hoist appeared - great no scaffold poles and rope for these boys.

left them to put the engine in on sunday morning - i was keen to see how they were getting on
so called in as the lift in was about to happen .the engine was on the floor with a seat belt tied to it as a lift strap.

i thought it looked a bit unbalanced but ace 1 said it was fine ....they lifted it in the air - the hook on the lift at the centre of the bowed seat belt
went up ,the strap slid along and the engine tilted crashing the auto box on the floor, it looked ok
so once the engine was in the hole ace 2lifted the bonnet back on whilst smashing the back corner of it into the screen ,thereby
f***ing the screen completely . ace 1 said awww youve "chipped" the screen ace 2 - that was it they were away and asked not to call again.
then thats when i discovered when the engine dropped there was a crack in the autobox casing when the hydraulic fluid sprayed out
all up the inner wing and on the floor , along with a jet of water like the fountains in las vegas from the heater hose they had split somehow
when tightening back on.

so after trying 3 different wonder metal and epoxy resins on the tiny crack ,the pressure was to much for them,they aluminium brazing rods didnt work as there was even when the box was empty weeping out of the ally when heated,causing the rods not to mix.

so thats how that went followed by the recovery wagon pantomime.

all in all after all is done ,new battery etc etc etc i will have £3000 in the car that was £800 (box was 400 fitting 400 with fluids etc)
which if i can sell the later auto box with a hairline crack to someone who can repair it or combine with theirs. i am happywith it has ended up costing for an xc90 diesel which is now in great shape ----However If it had only needed a cylinder head it would have been the buy of the century at eight hundred plus a head and a few gaskets , that was unitl the cast of "carry on volvo" arrived on the scene

ha ha hope it gave someone a laugh - happy xmas everyone !! al
These users thanked the author mayfair for the post:
oragex

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:37 am

jimmy57 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm
Next time: a one mile flat tow at 40 mph or less is VERY unlikely to harm the auto trans in neutral. The residual lubrication will cover it that long. If the trans holds fluid and engine can run then it is no problem as the trans oil pump will circulate fluid to keep things lubed.
My bad, I didn't see the "1 mile distance"

mayfair
Great Britain
mayfair

Post by mayfair » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:40 am

now worries - its safely in the shop now

cheers al