Login Register

Thanks for using the MVS-Amazon link!

General discussion about cars, parts, your DIY skills, etc. Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here. Do you have a question or comment about how MVS works? Ask here, comment here.
MrBman
Year and Model: 1997 Volvo 850R

Re: Thanks for using the MVS-Amazon link!

Post by MrBman »

Maybe this question is already been answered but if I click on the mvs link and then use the search box and it redirects me to a product I'm looking for will you still get credit for it or do you only get credit if I click on the headings first listed when you click on the mvs link?

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997

Post by matthew1 »

All forum Amazon links are already coded with the MVS link. If it links to Amazon, it's good to go. You don't need to do anything at all except click it.

Thanks for asking!
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin

Post by matthew1 »

I bought this ventilator/filter mask for concrete grinding project. An N-95 mask was woefully inadequate. Yes, I tried that before I got this. It was not a good idea.

This mask is surprisingly good quality. No cut corners. They even threw in a set of foam earplugs.

It works great, and it's money well spent on not getting a lung disease.

IMG_4799.jpg
IMG_4794.jpg
IMG_4795.jpg
IMG_4796.jpg
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4798.jpg
Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

MrAl
Year and Model: v70, 1998

Post by MrAl »

matthew1 wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 09:02 LINK --> https://www.amazon.com/?tag=matthewsvolvo10-20

For holiday presents, groceries, office supplies, whatever. Just click that before you buy. It REALLY helps MVS.

(It also appears at the top of most pages... all topic pages)

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Matt
Hi there Matt,

Can i ask how that helps MVS?
Does it help financially and if so is it related to the price of the item? Like does this site make more on a 20 dollar item then a 10 dollar item for example and is it a percentage or just a flat amount?
Or some other benefit?

Thanks.
I’ve been driving a Volvo long before anyone ever paid me to drive one.
1998 v70 on the road since April 2nd, 2015

matthew1
Site Admin

Post by matthew1 »

Sure thing, MrAl. I'm in the Amazon Associates program. Been in it for 12? 15? years.

It pays between 2 and 4 percent of the item's cost. They don't pass this on to you, they eat it.

Some categories of products are 0%, and some are more than 4%, but the majority are in that 2-4% range. They change things every so often, which is assigned what percent.

Most everything we talk about is in that 2-4 range. It's odd things like exotic products like luxury brands that can be 0 or 4+. All Amazon Fresh stuff for instance is 0.

It's all automatically tallied and I can log into my AA account to see the balance and products sold. I can't see who bought them.

They pay once a month, direct deposit. In my case it amounts to more than monthly electric+internet bills, but less than groceries. It helps.
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

Sveedy
Year and Model: 96 850 Turbo

Post by Sveedy »

We just need to figure out a way for MVS to get a payment from every FCP and IPD sale :)
Try to learn life's bad lessons vicariously through others.

matthew1
Site Admin

Post by matthew1 »

My latest score from Amazon (using my link - Amazon Associate program members are not barred from using their own link) is a 2.5 gallon Craftsman shop vac.

https://amzn.to/3xdWjvu - buy this from Amazon and it helps MVS thrive

IMG_5155.jpg
IMG_5153.jpg
Rare MVS Edition, available only to those in the VIP Amazon Club
Rare MVS Edition, available only to those in the VIP Amazon Club

If there's a better garage shop vac out there for this price, I don't know of it. I put it on a large hook hanging from my workbench and go to town on my car... and the dusty, dead-leaf-strewn floor of my garage.

I had this lying around

ext hose.jpg
ext hose.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 19262 times

and together they are unbeatable for cleaning my car. The shop vac stays put on the hook, I go everywhere in my 1.5-car garage.

https://amzn.to/3sFnNqa - 20ft vacuum and shop vac extension hose with adaptors

Getting back to the Craftsman -- which I've now started using to tackle the basement nooks and crannies -- it's downside happens to be its biggest upside. (If you come to MVS and expect a paradox-free experience, you're in the wrong place.) It's lightweight, so it'll tip if you pull it. The motor and switch and heavy casing are at the top. The lower half is just the catch shell. Whatever the case, it's super portable, so moving it from the garage to the basement or anywhere is like toting a picnic basket.

So that's the downside. Maybe you could say another is the lack of a HEPA filter like vacuums have... but this is a wet/dry machine, and I don't think any have those. So do note the exhaust will carry more dust than the exhaust of a vacuum... which reminds me... the exhaust outlet (or positive if you want to think of it that way) port is the same universal vacuum dimension, so I was thinking if that ever gets to be a problem indoors (super edge case scenario), I could hook up another hose extension to it and lead that out a window. Then it'd be better than a vacuum with HEPA.

I've used it with no problems on small debris, and it makes those things disappear. Not tried it on water yet.

Emptying it is simple. Just unclip and dump.

I like this little machine.
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

matthew1
Site Admin

Post by matthew1 »

I use a lot of Dust Off for my photography hobby. I use it to blow off negatives before they go into the scanner.

I just got done with 2500 (yes, one at a time) slides. It took about 2 months of on/off dedication while at my desk working on MVS and my other pursuits.

Now I'm on to a neverending stream of B/W and color negatives. I have at least 10x of those compared to slides. :shock:

Dust Off 6-pack - buy your Dust Off from Amazon and it helps MVS thrive

I don't like paying more for something than I have to, so consider this 6-pack well researched. But prices do change.

dustoff.jpg
dustoff.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 17394 times
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]

Sufbug
Year and Model: 1998 V70

Post by Sufbug »

Hey! Haven't been here in a bit, but I am spending on Amazon. Great reminder for everyone to use the link!
1998 V70 wagon / 244,013 miles / purchased 9-25-2020
2016 Cadillac CTS4 / might be selling this
1979 trans am 400ci / 4 speed / t-tops / not selling this

matthew1
Site Admin

Post by matthew1 »

I'm re-reading one of the best SF books I've ever read, and I've been reading SF since ~1981 when I stumbled onto Asimov's Foundation.

https://amzn.to/3gMX3QG
Also -> Amazon link

2004 V70 R [gone]